Chapter 47

"Call the medic!" Montwik repeated. In just a few minutes, three people, dressed in white, entered the room along with a stretcher. One of them entered the room in which Schrotanic was, and bent down to check his pulse. "He's dead." He announced, standing up at the same moment. "How did he die? I thought you said that this process would not be life- threatening!" Montwik asked Gofr, his voice showing a trace of anger in it. "The other side must have shorted his brain, and he must have gone into cardiac arrest." Gofr replied. "Atleast, that is the only possible explanation to this. What I said was a fact. This operation was not life threatening." Gofr replied. "You and I are having a real serious discussion in an hour." Montwik said, jabbing his thumb at Gofr, who seemed like he wanted to be anywhere but here at this moment. "Take his body to the medical bay. Perform his last rituals. Give him full military honors. He has to be treated like any other officer of his rank." Montwik ordered, and Bolius took the lead, with the other medical personnel taking away Schrotanic's mortal remains on the stretcher. "Rest in peace, Schrotanic." I muttered. Despite all that he had done to us, especially to Leo, he did what he thought was right. His thoughts were most probably planted inside him, and his actions were probably controlled by the kenjah, but the pain he had to go through, nobody, human or not deserved to go through it.

***

Mission Day Three

"Rescue Team is launching in T-Minus two hours."

"We have discussed upon everything, Rithvik." Montwik said, making the final preparations for the mission. The rest of the rescue team were in a separate cabin, gearing up for the mission. Three days went by like a brush and the time had come when we had to go save our crew. Reneesh, Souvik Montwik and I were in a separate cabin where Montwik was briefing us for the last time. He had given us the same instructions so many times that by now Reneesh and I could basically complete his sentences. "Montwik, take a chill pill." I said, trying to act calm. But in reality, I was far from calm. I was landing on the kenjah's home turf. Landing. And there was a very high possibility that we would come in face to face contact with him. And I was definitely not looking forward for that. Things were bad enough already. "Are you listening to me?" Montwik asked me, looking dead serious. "Montwik, we've been over this about a million times. I understand your concerns." I replied. "You do not understand, Rithvik. Kenjah will torture you in the worst ways possible." Montwik said, his voice sounding grave. "I get it, Montwik, I will be careful about it." I promised, strapping in the gun to my suit. "You two done talking?" Reneesh asked, barging into the conversation. "Yeah. Let's get down to the cafeteria. I want to munch on something before we undock." I said, walking out of the room. Reneesh and Souvik followed me as I made my way to the cafeteria. 

***

"Rescue Team is launching in T-Minus ten minutes."

"Stay safe, guys." Souvik told us. Reneesh and I were with the rest of the team near the docking port where our ship was waiting for us. Montwik told us that we were almost near the edge of the solar system where Photrox was, and that Beta Team would set up their base right here. For now, the rest of the teams had halted for the final command. We had the intel that the kenjah's army was still waiting in a defense position along their home planet and that they did not make any attempt to move forward. "We will be safe, Souvik. Make yourself useful here." I said, putting my arm around his shoulder. "We are going to save our planet, and every other planet dependent upon us." I continued. "All the best, Captain." He said, his eyes moistening. "Come back in one piece, man." He said. 

Just as we were about to board when Emanta and Profus entered the room dressed in full gear. I shot a quick glance at Montwik. I still was not comfortable with Profus being on the rescue team and after what Reneesh told me a few days ago, that uncomfortable feeling just got stronger. "Hello, Rithvik. How are you?" Profus asked, coming forward for a hand shake. "I'm good, Profus."  I replied. "You seem a bit off. What happened?" he enquired. "It is nothing, Profus. I think we should concentrate more on the mission right now than how I am acting." I said, walking towards the rest of the crew. Emanta and Profus followed me and I smiled at Souvik one last time before I boarded the ship. 

***

"Warrior Two, you are cleared for undocking." 

"Everyone, get ready for undocking, the initial few minutes would be a bit rough." Our pilot said. 

"Undocking in Five..Four..Three..Two..One.. Undocked."

**********

The next chapter will be released comparitively sooner as I am entering the last chapters of the book. 

-LPS21