Chapter 25 | The Half- Human

"Human? Like us?" Leo asked. "Fifty percent human." Jack replied. "How?" Reneesh asked him. "It's a long story." Jack said, sighing. "We've got a long day." Reneesh replied.

"It starts like this." Jack starter. "My father was transported to your planet to work as a spy in one of your governments. He was one of us. Anyways, he held an important position in the government for about eight years. That's where he met my mom. They married each other and I was born shortly after. But he received orders from to return to this base immediately and said that his transport ship would arrive in three weeks. Unable to leave his wife and child alone back on Earth, he brought them to this very base. But Schrotanic didn't allow them inside the base. He threatened my father by saying that he will have to hand my mother and I for execution or he would kill the three of us. My father somehow managed to escape with my mom and me and surrendered to the Crux Army when they mounted a terrestrial attack on this base. He spent the rest of this life in the base of the Crux Army's base. I joined the army too, after he died. And I was captured by the Vortex Army during one of their surprise attacks. And my whole squadron was captured. And they made me work for them from then on. My mom is still with them, waiting for me to return one day."

"You said your whole squadron was captured. Why can't you escape?" I asked him. "They're too afraid to even try it. Once they mark your ship as a target, you can't last for even another minute. And trying to escape on foot is suicide." He replied. "The whole squadron is against the Vortex Amry?" I asked him. "Yes. And so are many of the Vortex soldiers. The whole of the Crux Army is against him as well. The cruelty of the world leader has changed the minds of most of the people." He replied. "So half of the soldiers on this base are opposed to the world leader and his policies and are willing to de-throne him or overthrow his government if he has one?" I asked him. "It isn't so easy. Most people are afraid of the consequences. And the leaders, Schrotanic and Montwik would crush the movement of rebellion if one ever arises. And the Kenjah has his own army protecting our home planet. They have no connections with our army. They are better equipped than us and they have their home advantage." He replied, shaking his head. "Well, it would not hurt to try, Jake." I replied. "You know how armies fall. They fall one soldier at a time." I said. "Probably, Captain. The soldiers here are on the brink. All they need is a little push." He said. "Well, let's hope that that push is coming soon.

"Any idea what they're going to do to us?" I asked, changing the topic. "Long-term, kill you. No doubt. But short term, I have no idea. But I'll place my bets that it isn't anything good. The Kenjah is sinister and evil." He replied. Just then Schrotanic appeared from the bushes and Jack jumped to his feet. Schrotanic had a bandage covering his head and had a cast over his right hand, which was probably fractured from the blast. Schrotanic turned his gaze to me. "Thanks for saving me. But that doesn't mean in indebted to you or anything. What's coming to you is coming. There's no stopping it. Makes you regret your decision to save me? I don't care. And the world leader is coming in a few minutes. And Montwik is still on another base working on a few things. And that means I'm in charge here again. You guys have to follow me now." He said, gesturing us to follow him.

He led us into another building and put us all in a room with a raised platform on the other side. "Sit here and wait. The world leader will be here in a few minutes. And please, have some respect and manners. The kenjah will tolerate no nonsense." He said, walking out the room with a slight limp. "The kenjah is coming eh? That's cool. We can probably kick his butt and get out of here." Reneesh said. "Control that mouth of yours." A guard from the other side of the room shouted at us.

Twenty minutes went by before the two doors on the other side opened and men holding guns entered the room. And then a well-built man, wearing robes entered the room. He looked at us and smiled. Smiled. I could think of a million ways to wipe that smile off his face. My blood boiled with anger. "How does it feel to be a part of the last human expedition into space ?" He asked. "It isn't the last human expedition. Our species are not finished yet." Leo replied. "Oh yes! I know! They're heading here right as we speak! Led by the head of Mission Orion. They're coming right here. But no, we aren't going to blast them out of the sky. We will show them how hard betraying each other would be." He said. "What are you even talking about? How do you even make sense to yourself." I asked. "Oh well, you'll get to know soon enough." He replied, his smile melting into something which resembled irritation. "As Montwik isn't here. I'll take over his role. And I'm going to tell you few more things you never knew about yourselves and your planet." He started. He walked over to the raised platform and gestured us to take a seat in the chairs put near the platform. And we obeyed. The last person we wanted to piss off is the person who wants to see us dead.

He cleared his throat and started speaking. "After we became fourth-dimensional beings, we could control almost everything. A small amount of research and we could control wormholes, control space and yes, time. And then a whole new door opened for us. We had the ability to travel between various universes. And it was just as simple as a snap. And then we got an idea, why not create put intelligent life on other planets and see how they evolve? And we did exactly what we wanted to do. We had developed the genes and the DNA for ten civilisations before yours. And we put them in different universes which we knew were not inhabited by other intelligent organisms. You were the eleventh civilisation and the latest of them. We wanted to see how you'd evolve, how you would develop and how you would take care of the only home you have. We have been observing you since the beginning of humanity. We helped you by getting rid of the dinosaurs. And guess who built the pyramids? They were once our primary communications systems. And we've had spies within each and every part if your society. We watched you grow. We watched you evolve. But then, your greed started to get the better of you. You divided your land into countries and started waging wars on each other. You killed your own brother and sisters in the name of Color, on the name religion, on the name of caste and on the name of the race. You've developed nuclear weapons and used it to destroy your own home. You've taken your planet for granted, cutting down trees, killing the species which haven't threatened your existence even once. You've let your narrow thoughts on religion get the better of humanity. And the question may come why we named you 'humans'. We expected you to have humanity in your heart but we've not once seen it. We've been watching you since the stone age. We were there with you when you underwent the Industrial Revolution. And yet you used your technology to destroy your home. And you finally destroyed your own sun. What makes you think you deserve to live? You were always a doomed species, right from the beginning of your existence. So here I am, saying this right in front of your face, you don't deserve to live. You may ask me why. What is the reason behind us pouring these resources into creating species and taking you all to different universes? But it is simple, it gives us an opportunity to both improve our technology and well, it indeed is fun. In the technological aspect, we wanted to create clone armies who could fight our wars. You never know from where your threat is coming from." He finally completed.

"What gives you the right to judge whether or not we deserve to live?" I asked him, standing up. "We're your creators. We are fourth-dimensional beings. What else do you need?" He asked. "So you're saying that your species is perfect. That's what you're saying?" I asked. "We have discovered the secret of the fourth dimension. A feat none of the other known civilisations have managed to do. You came close, with your space warp technology but the design had too many risk factors in it." He replied looking at me. "You are at war with one of your own species and you accuse us of waging war on our own species. How is that different from what you are doing right now?" I asked him, looking straight in the eye. "They made their choice. They believed that cloning other species and spying on them was unethical and morally incorrect. And we didn't agree with their ideology. And people who believed in them moved over to another planet and they chose to wage war on us. They say that killing and destroying other species is wrong. We're your masters, and they have no right to interfere in our matters. We have no place for ethics and morals here. All we need is technology to develop and harness the unlimited powers of the universe." He started. "And. You may have a doubt of how you ended up training eyes on this particular planet with your telescopes and how you never saw us and all this war. The answer is simple, it was just a plain illusion. None of it exists in real life. It was just an illusion to lure you to our universe. Your lives were a lie, Captain. It was us all along." He said.

"Why bring us to your home territory and then kill us? Why not just come with your guns trained and blow us out of the sky?" I asked. "Number One, it was easier to just bring you here and destroy you with ease and comfort. And point number two, we had to test the new technology we developed. And you prove to be the perfect Guinea Pigs for the experiment. You can be the key to destroy the whole of the Crux Amry and their civilisation." He said. "YOU BEAST!" Anna screamed, her voice echoing off the walls of the room. "Control yourself, young lady. It'll all be over soon." He said, calmly.

"What are you going to do to us?" Leo asked. "You'll get to know about it. Very soon." He replied and walked out of the room, his guards going out with him.

Whatever it is, whatever they're going to do to us, it's coming fast. Real fast.

***