Chapter 23 | Trust

"Our creators." Leo repeated, in a trance-like state.

"Your creators." Montwik repeated again.

"Yeah, no shit. And what next? You rule the universe?" Reneesh asked, sarcastically. Montwik ignored that remark again and looked around the room again. "What do you mean you created us? And if what you are saying is true, why?" I asked. "You believe this freak show?" Reneesh asked me. I too ignored his comment. Reneesh does make sense usually, but not when he is angry. "Yeah, keep ignoring me. You'll regret it all one day." He barked. Montwik looked around the room once again, looking at each and every one of us in the eye.

"It's time for you guys to know about us. About our history and how we evolved." He started.

"We started out just like any other species. We were naive and and primitive. Our planet was far away from the place where your planet would be formed, after a millennia. We started off as hunters. Hunted animals. Invented fire. Invented the wheel. Flew our first aircraft. It took us a billion years to take the huge scientific leap. We were researching on black holes. We managed to figure out how black holes formed. We sent out probes and studied these black holes in details. We soon developed means to create the negative matter which was instrumental in creating wormholes. We decided to test the negative matter at the end of the planet system we were a part of. We had huge reserves of Negative Matter on one of the moons of the last planet in our system. Most of the scientists who were working on the project were present on the moon to preside over the final preparations when disaster struck. A freat accident released all the negative matter we had from the reserves and this caused a huge wormhole to form on the moon itself and soon managed to swallow the moons and the host planet itself. But from this, the other scientists discovered something else. The path to the fourth dimension. But we took it one step at once. We didn't send out probes into the space wrap nor did we explore it further, at least till we totally understood its functioning and the consequences of entering into the wormhole. Meanwhile, on the other side of the planet, another landmark discovery was made. A group of scientists had developed the technology which was capable of producing life forms which could look like almost anything we wanted it to be. But then we were hit with a major problem. The experiments we performed had a devastating effect on our sun, mainly due to the heavy gravitational forces accompanying it. Our sun was dying, just like yours is now, threatening to destroy our home planet as well. By this time, our scientists had keenly observed the result of our experiment. The wormhole just stood there, at the edge of our system, without giving a hint of where it would take us. We had to make a decision, whether to search for another planet in our universe, or follow the wormhole and see where it leads us. Our leaders chose the path of the wormhole without having second thoughts about this. We built our spaceships for the whole of our population. And one fine day, we took off. The day had come where we abandoned our home, our Galaxy and ultimately our universe to explore the unknown. The journey through the wormhole was a nightmare. We didn't know where we would end up. We lost contact with all the probes as soon as they exited the wormhole. And finally, the moment of truth arrived. We were approximately ten seconds away from exiting the wormhole. When we finally did, we ended up exactly where you ended up, a week ago. You don't realise this do you, Captain? You aren't in the same universe anymore , Captain. We are fourth dimensional beings. The only species in any universe, in any realm, to harness the power of the fourth dimension. Technically yes, we do rule the universe, or as you may say the whole realm."
"Why did you create us, then?" Leo interrupted him. Just as Leo asked, alarms started blaring in the whole building. Schrotanic sighed and said "Not again." "What happened?" I asked Montwik. "We're at war, Captain. Just like yours. We are at war for our survival. Only that our chances are way better than yours, which is almost zero." He replied. "You said you're the only civilisation which can control the fourth dimension. Who would declare war on you?" I asked. "No two people agree on a single thing in here, Captain." He replied. "I have a lot more to explain and any questions would be answered later. Our base is under attack, and I am supposed to defend it." And with that, he walked out of the room. Bolius followed him and Schrotanic was the only person in the room.

"Well, that settles it." Leo started, "We are now at war with our creators." He said.  A man suddenly rushed into the room and grabbed Schrotanic and dragged him out of the room shouting about some important work. Suddenly the woman, who came to us earlier and said the 'tearing each other from inside' part, rushed into the room shutting the door hard behind her. "Who are you exactly?" I asked her, standing up. "It is not important. I have only thirty seconds before Schrotanic would be back, so here I go." She started. "Trust no one expect Montwik and me. We are the only people who can help you get out of here. I'm not exaggerating, but if you want to save humanity, we are the only hope." She then stopped and looked at our faces. "My name is Emanta." She said finally. "Why should we trust you, Emanta?" Reneesh asked her. "Cause you have no choice." She replied. She walked away with this just as Schrotanic entered the room. "What are you doing here?" He asked her, angrily. "Well, you did a sloppy job as a guard. Very responsible of you to leave these people around, free to go." She replied to him. "Mind your own business, Emanta. Don't poke your noses into things which are none of your business." He told her, pushing her out of the room at the same time. I looked at her, as she walked away from the room. She winked and me and mouthed me "Trust no one."

"So guys, what do you plan on doing?" Schrotanic asked us. "Punch you on the face." Leo replied. "Try me." He replied. Leo got up, ready to have a fight and took a step forward before I grabbed him by the hand and pushed him down on the chair. "We don't fight with freak shows." I told him. Schrotanic snorted and walked out of the room. Reneesh immediately came to me and asked, "What do you make of her? Can we trust her?"

"Just like she said, we have no choice but to trust her." I replied. I was about to say something else before a huge hole appeared on the wall next to me. I was on my feet before I knew it. It was a bomb. "RUN!" I yelled. We ran towards the door just as Schrotanic came running towards us. We bumped into each other. "Where do you think you're going?" He asked us, poking into my chest with his finger. Just like a reply, the bomb in the room went off throwing us off our feet. And surprise! I blanked out.

***