05

(Each chapter will have the same point of views if necessary.)

Jimin//

I lift the lid of the rice cooker carefully. Seeing how it was cooking. Weeks before hearing about me going to America, my parents raided IKEA for the appliances that I really didn't need but took it in appreciation.

"Ouch!" I snatched my finger away as it touched the side of the machine. Wincing as I sucked on my aching finger.

It's been a hard day of job hunting for me. Trying to find Korean restaurants that needed help. So far, no one needed help.

I have a decent amount of money already in the bank from me saving over the years as a hobby. But think it's best that I get a job too.

My phone lit up on the side of the cooker with a notification. I unlocked it and read an angry text from my mother.

Mama P: So i heard from a little birdy that you made it to New York safely but didn't even bother to text me... BOY DO YOU NOT KNOW HOW WORRIED I WAS?! I WAS BEGINNING TO THINK YOUR PLANE CRASHED IN THE OCEAN. I WILL RUN ACROSS THIS OCEAN AND SLAP YOUR FACE IF YOU DON'T TEXT BACK! Love you!

I held the phone away from me as I stared in shock at the text. I was too caught up yesterday thinking about those cherries.

And that note...

Me: Mom I'm fine. I'm sorry i didn't text you. It was a simple slip of the mind. Calm down please. You know what the doctor said about getting too worried. Right? Love you too.

A gray cloud puff up in my face with the most disturbing smell one can imagine. Yelping as i looked down. I sat my phone on the counter in a panic. The rice was bubbling over the rim of the pot. Leaving trails of rice on the side.

The smoke still pushing out the top before sending the whole thing into flames.

All i wanted was rice.

I screamed as if someone kicked my berries. Yanking my phone from off the counter before out the door.

"FIIIIRRREEEEEEE!" I ran to my left, bare feet slapping the wood. I banged my fist on my neighbor's door. Hoping they'd answer quickly.

I don't want to be homeless after my first night.

I thanked the heavens once the door open. Revealing a girl with creamy brown skin. "What is it?" She screamed.

"F-fire." I pointed to my apartment. She nodded before picking up a fire extinguisher buy her door and leaping over to my door.

"Oh LORD!" The lady pulled the pin before completely engulfing the fire in foam. Taking a big breath while wiping her forehead. She turned around.

My eyes landed on her hair as to what the hell was she doing. A comb stuck half way inside that bird's nest. "Ahem." She cleared her throat. Her eyes narrowed at my stare. "Mind telling me what happened?"

Um..um... huh?

"Excuse me?" I spoke slowly. Making sure I said it right.

"Do. You. Mind," She pointed to her head, " Telling. Me. What. Happened?"

Oooooooh.

I gulped. "I was cooking rice. I'm very hungry." I pointed to my mouth.

Her plump lips formed an 'o' before grinning. She reached out her right hand while tucking the extinguisher in the crook of her elbow.

"My name is Lauren. What's your name?" Her smile was pretty. Prettier than the girl's teeth at home.

Shaking her hand hesitantly, "My name is Jimin."

"That's a handsome name, would you like some cherries?"

Cherries?

"Cherries?" I asked uneasy. Cherries aren't really my favorite. But i guess i can eat some for now.

"Yeah, you can eat some while I fix something for you to eat. That is, if you don't mind."

"Oh uh thank you, thank you." I bowed then scratched my neck in awkwardness.

"No problem. You might want to put some shoes on." Lauren said as she walked out.

Stomach grumbling in demand, I hurried and tugged on my shoes before grabbing my house keys off the hook. Cautiously walking to the entrance of her door. I took a great look at what was inside.

Red.

Most of the stuff she had in there was red. Kind of aesthetic to me. Taking off my shoes and closing the door. I smiled as I stepped down the stair. Walking into the wide living room.

"Here's your cherries." I turned and looked at her holding a red bowl full of black cherries.

Thinking of yesterday, I instantly brushed it off. Anyone could like cherries.

Duh.

"Thank you." I grabbed both sides of the bowl. Tilted my head down and looking at it.

A loud laugh filled my ear. Making me look up. Lauren was smiling while shaking her head.

"You look so lost. Why don't you come in the kitchen and sit, hm?"

I was still processing what she had said but she already wrapped her hands around my wrist before tugging.

Her apartment was styled differently from mine. My kitchen was completely white with no brick walls. But hers looked so cozy with the big picture window watching over the city.

"It'll be an hour before everything is done." She called. Collecting the pots and pans from the cherry wood cabinets.

She had color. No, I'm not talking about her skin. I'm talking about her personality. Just looking at a person's house can tell you about a person's personality.

"Are you going to eat it or not?" She stood up.

I blinked before picking up the red ball that I truly hate. Opening my mouth slowly, sitting it on my tongue. Lauren's eyes watched my every move as I bit down on it.

The sweet juice splashing onto my teeth and tongue. I turned and looked at her.

She leaned onto the counter laughing

She leaned onto the counter laughing. Getting her a cherry herself. "It's good, right?"

I nodded. This is surprisingly good. Wonder were she got it from. Maybe I'll eat the ones in my refrigerator.

While finishing the fruit, Lauren reached to scratch her head but came into contact with her comb. "Oh shit." She gasped before running out the kitchen.

Guess she just noticed. Cute.

----------

~Shauna