Chapter 15

“Go away, Bill.” Ring… Ring… Ring…

“Stop it… Go away.” Ring…  Ring… Ring…

I groaned and groggily awoke from my non-beneficial slumber. My eyes felt heavy and I rubbed at them with my knuckles to force them open. Ring… Ring… Ring…

I looked around with an unnerved front as the room was dark, yet. Was that my phone ringing?

I felt my way through, towards the light switch, while knocking over a couple of furniture in the interim. Finally I switched it on and shut my eyes immediately with the impact of the bright fluorescent light shining directly at them. Ring… Ring… Ring…

After a couple more rounds of blinking, I looked around for my phone.I snatched it hastily from underneath the pillow – the sudden noise was bothersome at this time of the hour. I wondered who the caller might be, although the effect that tolled upon instant acknowledgment was of pure grief and pity. Yes, I pitied my pathetic circumstances.

“Yeah Miranda,” my voice came out very strangely.

“Were you asleep? I’m sorry…” I ignored the premonition that Miranda had never afore apologized for having disturbed my sleep. Perhaps she was tossing in her bed all night.

“That’s alright. What is it, Miranda?” Stop being harsh to her, my mind silently called out but I ignored those instincts again.

She hesitated for a moment and spoke after warily selecting her words, “We need to talk and it’s impossible to do so at school…”

“Mm…Hmm… I’m listening.”

“What- … No, never mind,” she took a deep intake of breath, “we’re bunking school today. Okay?”

“Yeah okay, wait - what? Why…?”

“I asked Granny to get permission. In view of that, I have caught a bad flu and you are yet recovering from yesterday’s prolonged illness. Could we meet at the park, instead?” Miranda seemed nervous.

I gave her suggestion a quiet minute’s thought. “Okay, I’ll see you there.”

“Okay…”

“Err… Bye, then,” I told her.

“Linds?” she called out in haste.

“Yeah Miranda,” This conversation could have been labelled as the most awkward one between us. Even the atmosphere seemed to confirm it.

“Thanks and… Please do come. Bye Linds.” The line was disconnected and a quarter of an hour may have lapsed while I remained in that position – staring at the screen where the call simply ended.

This is wrong, my heart finally distressingly conceded. I had just hurt her feelings with my indifference attitude. And simply for selfish reasons with life being a jumbled ball of chaos and insanity. I wetted my lips and promised myself to make it up to her. I would not ruin our sisterly-friendship for the world.

 I had a wash and changed into my uniform attire. The table clock read 04:20 a.m. I had plenty of time before me but I opted to recline on bed and stare at the ceiling while correspondingly avoiding thoughts of anything in particular.

The foremost beams of sun-rays began to shine through the windows and I took that as the initiative to prepare for flight. I emptied the contents of my school bag and paused in mid-air. I shook my head and re-packed them, not bothering to arrange it per se today’s timetable. My bag had to pass without detection or suspicion and that was sufficient. I grabbed my phone in the process and inserted into one of the pockets.