epilogue.

// about a year later after they flew back home. //

~:~

familiarity.

that's what he felt staring at the painting; a wave of it, clouding his mind with confusion. or maybe it wasn't familiar at all, and he just wanted it to feel like that. or maybe it was familiar.

sighing, he sat down on the bench in front of that particular drawing, not moving his eyes away from it. then he could sense someone behind him, in a strange way. he didn't react though, but he knew there was someone there.

at one point, he had to blink and lower his head to rest it, which made the person take a few steps forward and end up in front of him instead. it was a woman, he assumed, with long, brown hair. he scanned her back and actually groaned when that too felt familiar. he was losing his mind, that he was sure of.

"what do you think of it?" he questioned, referring to the painting. she shrugged, then waved her palm as if to say so-so. "it's not mine. but it does remind me of someone." he confessed to a total stranger, feeling the need to talk at the moment. he felt like he could confide in this stranger. "i went to college in florida, but i grew up here. i don't know why i'm telling you this, but if i'm boring you, just go." he started, hearing her let out a very quiet snort. "i of course had to move back eventually. even found myself a great job which i'm enjoying right now. my older sister is working as a soccer coach and she's trying to become an event coordinator. we're good now, but..." a brief pause.

"but what?" the woman asked quietly after his short pause, her voice blanker than he'd expected it to be.

"i left a lot behind when i moved back here too. my best friend and my girlfriend. her name was cassie. she was very into art herself, and i know her style from bottom. that's why i can't stop looking at this painting; it's so bloody typical her. i don't know, maybe i just miss her too much. she's visited a few times, but she keeps saying she's busy now and focusing on her career. which i get, believe me. i only want for her to be happy and successful. but i just miss her."

matt swallowed a lump in his throat and thought back to all the times she had visited. it was around three or four times, once with mason as well. but it wasn't enough. going from seeing each other every day to four times a year was tough, almost unbearable. thankfully it was never awkward or so, but they never spoke too deeply. cassie avoided talking about her career at all, which eventually bothered both the siblings.

he kept repeating her words in his head. maybe we'll actually figure something out and get back together. he hoped, clung to those words more than he should.

"that sounds depressing." she commented after a moment, tucking some hair behind her ear. that made matt straighten his back and fixate his eyes on her, feeling familiarity again. then he shook his head stupidly over himself — a lot of girls do that.

"it was in the beginning. but we're getting better, i guess. i'm glad we're still in contact, you know. many people lose that." he shrugged sloppily and leaned forward, supporting his chin against his fists.

"i lied about the painting before." she said, pointing up at it briefly. "i think it's horrible. but you know i'm always shy about my art and never really like it myself."

"wha– i what?" he frowned deeply, watching her finally turn around with a sheepish smile on her face. "holy shit."

"i'm disappointed you didn't recognize my voice." cassie folded her arms together and quirked one eyebrow.