23. now we're fighting.

"you know, i actually like bash." matt uttered.

cassie, who had her pizza slice in her mouth, peered up at him and stopped chewing. she raised her eyebrows out of pure surprise and swallowed before answering.

"nice joke."

"i'm serious." he laughed and flipped through her book of drawings. "after you told me about him and we spent another day with your family, he seemed like a nice guy. i mean, i completely understand why he's your friend."

"are you sick or something?" she asked in a whisper and jokingly put her palm against his forehead.

"very funny." he deadpanned, seized her hand and kissed it briefly before crossing his legs. "he's funny, seems kind, can talk about anything and with everyone. what's there not to like?"

"did sebastian threaten you? poison you? beat you? hypnotize you?" she pressed in disbelief over his words.

"believe me, i wish." he scoffed and put her book away, and then the empty pizza boxes.

"wow. then i'm really glad you have nothing against him." she smiled happily and pecked his cheek.

cassie stood up from the floor and threw the boxes in the trash. she tucked some hair behind her ear and leaned her back against her desk, arms folded together.

"i need to leave because i've got something to do." he proclaimed, moving towards the door.

"alright. are you boxing today? i'm thinking of skipping this once because i have some homework from before the christmas break." she asked and looked at him.

"maybe. depends on how long this takes." he smiled before leaving.

"okay." she mumbled to herself and sat down with her homework.

she and matt had been spending almost every day since they got back from her parents in her dorm, or his. they didn't feel like doing anything else. a lot of pizza and junk food had been eaten, but they both worked out often so they figured it was okay.

alex had been out and about as usual, mostly spending time with vanessa. cassie knew she had been slacking when it came to hanging out with her friends, but she'd make up for it.

her roommate entered a while later, putting a cup of chai latte on the desk where cassie was studying. the brunette smiled with gratitude and took a sip.

"what are you doing today?" alex asked quietly and sat down on the bed.

"well, i'm almost done with this. maybe i'll go boxing, it's been a while now." she shrugged and looked at her.

"you should do that." alex nodded and frowned with her lips. that only made cassie knit her eyebrows together and turn all her attention to her friend.

"why?" she asked suspiciously, rolling the pen between her fingers. alex peered up at her and shrugged sloppily.

"why not? would you rather study? not even you would." alex laughed and tilted her head so slightly to the side.

"yeah, you're right." cassie sighed and stood up from her chair, opening her closet. she put on her training outfit, including her fingerless gloves, and stretched her arms. "but if i see one thing that's different–"

"cassie." alex cut her off with a blank stare. "what would i even do while you're gone?"

the brown eyed one made a face with puckered lips before leaving her with the chair latte to drink on the way. she pulled her fingers through her hair as she walked the way to the boxing club, frowning as she saw a few more cars than usual outside.