3. spilled coffee.

cassie knew they were talking, but nothing really registered in her mind. she was too busy drawing in her sketchbook while alex and vanessa talked.

she smiled up and them occasionally to show she was still there, and she listened for a second, but then it just slipped out of her ears again. alex chewed on her apple and averted her eyes to their absent friend, raising her eyebrows.

"cassie?" she mumbled. when the brunette didn't look up, she snapped her fingers in front of her face.

"what?" cassie asked and shrugged questioningly.

"you're hopeless." vanessa laughed and leaned back in the chair.

she liked vanessa equally as much as she liked alex. but since she shares a room with alex, they're automatically a bit closer. vanessa shared room with a childhood friend, who the other two didn't mind, but that friend fit better with some other people.

vanessa was the necessary friend who carried chirpiness like a dress. she was kind, down to earth, a bit "cocky" as many would say, but she was realistic. she doesn't sugar coat or lie. she's the kind of person who'd try to be nice by saying i'm not gonna' say i told you so, and then add a but i did tell you... so. by appearance, she was blonde — unlike alex and cassie — and blue eyed, unlike cassie.

when thinking about it, cassie actually loved those two a lot.

cassie sighed and closed the sketchbook, put it beside her on the couch and folded her arms together. she glanced around them in the cafeteria and then smiled at her friends.

"sorry. what were you talking about?"

"this weekend. are we going to the movies, to study or attend the party everyone's talking about?" alex asked and looked between the two.

"that depends entirely on whose party it is." cassie smiled and grabbed her own apple, taking a bite from it.

"it's jason's." alex smiled while wiggling her eyebrows. vanessa sat up straight and nodded happily, clasping her hands together.

"i love his house! he's got a big backyard and a huge living room, and then many bedrooms..."

"okay, van, we get it." cassie laughed and looked over her shoulder. "speaking of the devil."

"hello girls." jason joined them as he sat down next to cassie. she sent him a friendly smile and took another bite. "i just wanted to let you know that–"

"–you're having a party in the weekend." vanessa finished for him and tilted her head to the side. "and we're probably coming."

"we haven't actually gotten an answer from cassie." alex butted in and looked at her.

cassie pursed her lips and gazed down at her lap, suppressing a smile. she then made her thinking expression and swallowed the chewed apple bite. she didn't have anything to do on friday, and as she told matt, she liked to party.

"i'm in." she finally said with a headnod and looked between all three of them.

"great." jason smiled and licked his lips quickly. "and cassie?"

"hm?" she mumbled and turned her head to him, and he carefully leaned in to say something quietly.

"looks like you've got an admirer." he proclaimed, stood up again and left.

with a frown, cassie put one arm against the table, the elbow of her other one as support, and her cheek against her palm.

she discreetly gazed to her left, locking eyes with matt who stood a bit away. she inhaled while smiling unconsciously. when he returned the smile, she quickly looked away and mentally cursed at herself.