21. christmas with the daddarios.

cassie could barely even enter the plane without getting panic. alex called the window seat, which was more than fine by cassie. the three sat by the same row, matt in the middle.

she rested her elbow against the arm rest and chewed on her thumbnail, trying to think of something else. however, as she looked at all the people seated around them, she realized that she and alex had seen way too many movies about plane hijackers.

"cass?" matt murmured and nudged her body with his.

"hm?" she answered and turned her head to him, putting her hand back down against her thigh.

"are you sure you're alright?" he asked with a little giggle and raised his eyebrows cutely.

"i'm perfectly fine. just a bit nervous, that's all." she practically forced the smile on her face, which he could see right through.

"are you really that afraid of flying? if it helps, maybe you should listen to music and pretend you're sleeping in your bed." he shrugged and then realized how little that helped.

"wow, thanks. i feel so much better now." she said sarcastically and refrained from rolling her eyes.

matt would've replied if the captain didn't start speaking to the people. cassie shot her eyes forward and swallowed, watching the flight attendants placing themselves in their seats and buckling their belts.

"you'll be fine, cassie." alex butted in and sent her a wink. "the hours are just gonna' pass by before you know it."

"it's a nine hours flight!" cassie retorted and gave her a look. "who knows what might happen during these nine hours."

"okay, calm down." matt chuckled and gently seized her hand, lacing their fingers together. normally she'd pretty much hate that, but it was needed at the moment. "nothing's going to happen. you'll probably be sleeping through half the flight."

"fine, i'll sto– holy shit, we're moving." she stared out the window and fidgeted in her seat.

"i think you mean, oh my holy shit." he corrected her with a teaseful smile.

cassie looked at him and cracked a laugh in the middle of her panic. she glanced down and squeezed his hand, rubbing it with her thumb as if he needed reassurance.

"you're right, that's more me. matthew, we're about to fly up in the goddamn air any second now." she mumbled whilst the pace of the plane sped up profoundly.

"and we'll be just fine." he reminded her and looked out the window, then back at her.

cassie had her eyes closed and tried to focus on their hands instead of the flight. she opened them after a while and locked eyes with matt, who only smiled in an attempt to keep her calm.

"i hate this feeling so much. and the fact that this piece of metal can carry us in the sky is still a big question mark to me. god, i would never ever step foot on air force one. that plane has an elevator! imagine how heavy it is, jesus christ." she rambled, only making him smile wider until his teeth were showing. "why are you– what's that look on your face?"

"i just love how you're handling this." he laughed and barely shrugged.

"just keep holding my hand and let me ramble, and it should be fine." she smiled and leaned her head against him.

matt did exactly that for the most of the flight. cassie did sleep through half of it — just as the other two did. when she didn't sleep, she found topics to talk about so that she wouldn't look out the window and freak out all over again.

needless to say, the moment they got to step off the plane was one of the happiest moments of her life.

cassie deeply expected to go directly to their parents, which they did. she stood behind them, a bit nervous, and fiddled with her fingernails. when the door opened, alex hugged her mom tightly.