17. the first k.

"no, what you did was wrong." cassie quietly laughed and scribbled in her sketchbook.

"okay, okay, i get it. can we talk about something else now?" tyler whined over the phone.

she was in the coffee shop at the moment, not knowing what else to do. her homework was finished, cheerleading practice too and she didn't feel like working.

during the practice, cassie and matt did small talk a bit. even if it was dry and short, it was still something. she apologized for being so rude to him that other day, twice.

"okay. i finally watched the new jungle book movie." she smiled and rolled the pen between her fingers.

"about time. what did you think?"

"i liked it a lot, it was cool." she shrugged and began drawing again.

"you used to look like mowgli for a while. remember that?" he chuckled and probably grinned like a fool.

"oh, shut up." she muttered and looked up at melissa who approached her.

"what? it's true."

cassie smiled at her friend and watched the chai latte she got. when melissa slyly smiled and then strutted away, cassie frowned and very, very slowly removed the top.

she had her suspicion of course, considering the last letter was a k, spelling i like. pursing her lips, she looked down at the liquid and swallowed hard. there was a capital u, with two dots above — as if being a smiley and a letter at the same time.

"oh, shit." she whispered and began biting on her thumbnail. "i need to go, ty. talk to you later." she added as she hung up the phone.

cassie quickly pushed the half-finished drawing down her bag and stood up from her chair. just as she was about to leave the place, matt entered and bumped his body into hers accidentally.

"cass, hi. i wanted to– to talk, if you've got some time." matt said and moved his hand as he spoke. cassie's bag fell down her arm and to the floor, so she kneeled down and tried to gather the papers again. "what's that?"

"nothing, please don't look." she mumbled and pulled a hand through her hair out of frustration.

"cassie, is that me?" he asked stubbornly and kneeled down too, only to have his question answered. there were more than one drawing of him, and she closed her eyes and bit on her lip harshly.

"i'm sorry, i know this seems so, so weird, i just can't really help it..." she started rambling while standing up and nervously looked to the sides.

matt listened in the beginning, but then just stopped. he glanced at the papers and then back at her face, twitching the corners of his mouth outwards. after a few seconds, he just shook his head. as much as he wanted to shut her up and admire the beautiful drawings, he had something else in mind.

"screw it." he said quietly before grabbing her head with such dominance and pressing his lips against hers.

cassie widened her eyes and raised her eyebrows over his act, barely lifting a hand beside her body. when she finished being in the shock state, she put a hand against his chest and finally kissed him back with closed eyes.

matt softly placed his hands around the side of her neck instead, caressing her jaw with his thumb. she pulled him closer if that was even possible and had to stand on her toes due to his height.

when he pulled back to look at her, she leaned in briefly because she honestly wanted more. however, she opened her eyes too and stared at him until he kissed her again, this time with tongue.