7. victory.

matt was almost overrun by his teammates who started celebrating over their victory. cassie quickly averted her eyes to the scoreboard once the game was official over, and smiled widely.

she then frowned at the unusual numbers on the screen, knowing this was way above the average from previous experience.

"this must be like, one of our top games ever." candice stated with a smile and looked at her.

"crazy." cassie laughed and glanced back at her.

"great job, matt." the coach happily gave him some instant feedback, and pointed at chris. "you too, chris. amazing teamwork."

"thanks, coach." the two boys said simultaneously and then made a fist bump with each other.

"you know, i don't think i've ever seen you nail so many touchdowns before. actually, it's been a while since i've seen anyone do that."

after a bit of talking and celebrating with the rest of the team, matt jogged over to his sister and gave her a hug out of habit.

"ew, okay, you're extremely sweaty." alex grimaced and gently pushed him back.

"sorry." matt laughed and glanced over at cassie, who was scratching the spot behind her ear with two fingers.

"go." alex smiled and nodded sideways.

matt barely waited before walking over to cassie. she turned sideways when noticing him and smiled softly.

"hey. congratulations."

"thank you. do i get a hug?" he joked and smiled wryly at her.

"i would actually give you one, but alex said you're really sweaty, so i'll pass." she giggled and folded her arms together.

"bummer." he smirked and then carefully seized the pin he kept in a closed pocket. "thanks for the good luck charm."

"keep it." she said, a severe expression on her face.

"but it's–"

"it's fine. i want you to keep it." she insisted and licked her lips.

"if you say so." he sighed while putting it back. "are you sure?"

"definitely. so... how do you think it went? the game, i mean." she asked quietly and peered up at him.

"coach thinks i broke my record. i'm gonna' go talk to the one who handles the scores and all." he smiled and squinted with his eyes a little.

"do that. i'll be by alex and vanessa." she smiled back and motioned behind her shoulder with her thumb.

with a weak head nod, matt turned around and went to talk with the responsible score keeper. cassie followed him with her gaze for as long as she could before joining her friends again.

"so?" vanessa smirked and waited for an answer about the whole requirement.

"he's talking with that guy right now."

"okay, but all jokes aside here, i am assuming that you'll befriend him even if he didn't break his record. right?" alex asked and leaned forward. cassie cracked a smile and nodded after a few seconds.

"of course i will. i mean, he tried and that's really all that matters." she laughed and bit on her thumbnail.

"i'm so happy you're finally giving in!" vanessa chirped and clasped her hands together. "is this, like, an agreement to finally spend some time with alex's brother? because it's about damn time."

"oh my god." cassie mumbled and rubbed her face with her hands.

"wait, what if you two eventually fall in love? it's not impossible. what are you gonna' do when you want to have sex?"