2. coffee shop.

cassie greeted the woman behind the cash register and tucked some loose strands of hair behind her ear while smiling.

"good afternoon." the woman smiled and eyed her quickly.

"hi, melissa. how are you today?" she asked and put her hands down her back pockets.

"i'm good, how about you?" melissa answered and started typing in the register. "the usual, by the way?"

"i'm fine, just a bit tired as always." cassie shrugged and then nodded at her question.

"how's school going?" the woman continued asking to keep the conversation and fixed her drink.

"absolutely great. it's just getting harder to sleep nowadays." cassie sighed and twitched the corner of her mouth sideways.

"god, that sucks." melissa mumbled and handed her the cup. "here." the younger one paid her quickly and sat down by her table by the window.

cassie loved the little coffee shop. oddly, she didn't like coffee as a drink, so her usual was chai latte. the place was a cosy place to just sit at, preferably alone. but it wasn't empty at all, and sometimes alex or vanessa would join her.

there was also a very nice view that never bored her. she wrapped both hands around the warm cup and thought about what to write in her english assignment.

the little bell above the door rang as someone else entered. she looked up for a second and frowned, sinking down in her chair a bit.

matt walked over to the cashier with his golden smile and asked for a cup of coffee. with a nod, melissa poured coffee in a cup and handed it to him.

"thank you." he smiled and paid her, his eyes glancing to the side where they landed on cassie — and they stayed there for a moment too.

"her name's cassie." melissa spoke up and nodded to the side.

"oh, i know. we go to the same college." he informed her, pursing his lips.

"are you two friends?" she asked and folded her arms together against the counter.

"not even close. she doesn't like me very much."

"what're you talking about? she likes everyone." she laughed and raised her eyebrows.

"i know." he weakly smirked and shook his head.

"go talk to her." melissa shrugged, and he looked down at his feet. "now."

after looking back up, matt slowly moved over to cassie's table and sat down opposite to her. she averted her eyes from the window to him and crossed one leg over the other one.

"hey." he said quietly and pressed a smile. that only made her smile, a genuine and soft one.

"hi."

"that isn't coffee, is it?" he asked as he scanned her drink.

"no, it's chai latte."

"why not coffee, considering you're in a coffee shop?"

"i hate the taste of it." she laughed, which radiated over to him.

"wow, really?" he grinned and took a sip from his cup.

"yeah, so don't ever talk to me with coffee breath." she smiled and leaned back in her chair. "anyway, don't you have practice today?"