14. masquerade flashback.

with a sigh, cassie finished her hair and moved it down her chest, scanning herself in the mirror. it was straightened, with a bit of both front sides clasped by the middhe of the back of her head — providing it with a little more volume. alex opened the bathroom door and made a dramtic showing of her outfit.

"black widow? really?" cassie smiled and looked at her roommate.

"just because you don't want to wear a proper costume." alex pouted with a huff and crossed her arms together.

"you're not even wearing a red wig." cassie pointed out and raised her eyebrows a little.

"they were all so ugly and looked worn out. it's either black widow or sexy army commander costume."

"original."

"hey, i was on the verge of buying a swat police costume." alex laughed and sat down on the edge of the bed.

"oh dear god. i would've actually hit you." cassie said truthfully and stared at her, loathing the typical police outfit.

"i think vanessa's wearing some baseboll outfit."

"come on!" she whined and leaned her body against the wall. "what happened to wearing actual costumes? i swear, if i see one person tonight with a thoughtful and creative outfit, i'll applaud that person."

"halloween's the only time of the year when you're allowed to dress slutty without being judged." alex quoted with her back straightened.

"such a stupid saying. if you want to wear short shorts and crop tops daily, do it. it's your goddamn body." cassie repeated, like she had done so many times before.

"unfortunately, not everyone thinks like that." alex sighed and stood up, caressing cassie's upper arms shortly. "i'm gonna' change to my army costume. this one's too tight and leather-y."

cassie nodded while smiling and watched her friend disappear back into the bathroom. she made sure her simple, black dress sat tight against her body before she grabbed the mask and waited for alex.

the two finally walked to where the party was held at and greeted jason quickly as they entered. vanessa soon joined them — indeed wearing a golden, black and white baseball costume — and offered them each a drink.

"why so boring?" vanessa pouted as she eyed cassie quickly. the two girls still nagged at cassie every halloween because she wouldn't properly dress up.

"i couldn't think of something different and unique, so i settled with this."

"you're an artist."

"yeah, but i'm not so keen about halloween, so i don't really find anything inspirational. although, i was just giving it a thought to go as princess jasmine, but."

"next year, we're making her wear something more halloween-ish." alex mumbled and drank from her cup.

"i'm not going to wear a 'sexy' costume, made from a serious profession." cassie air-quoted the word with her fingers and gazed at them. "the only acceptable outfit would be a cave woman."

"you're unbelievable."

"unbelievably gorgeous." cassie joked with a smirk and drank some.

they hung out for quite a while just like on any other party, which was fun. cassie excused herself to get some more beer, but was soon overwhelmed by a cold feeling down her chest.

"shit, i am so sorry." a guy apologized. she sighed and looked up, but he was wearing a full-on face mask.

without saying anything, cassie just hurried over to the nearest bathroom and grabbed some paper to dry away the liquid with. when the door behind her slowly opened, she glanced up at the mirror and barely pouted.