Freak Business *

His mom had always warned him about the dangers of venturing out into the shadows of the night, especially after what had happened at the hospital. She tended to be overprotective, but her concerns were valid. The events at the hospital had unfolded in a split second. Shine seemed uncertain, stumbling as if torn between staying put or following him.

"Are you coming or not, Shine?" Calvin huffed impatiently.

"I'm coming with you," she panted, her voice strained. "It's just that my mom always tells me to stay away from the woods and not to be outside at this time."

"What are you talking about? We've already been to the woods before. You didn't listen to your mom then," Calvin retorted.

"Yeah, but... the woods near our secret hideout, the field, are completely fine. But there's another part of the forest that gives me a bad feeling," Shine explained, her voice tinged with unease.

As they stepped off her porch, a gentle breeze greeted them.

"My mom told me the same thing, Shine. I don't know..." Calvin's voice trailed off as he pondered. "Follow me; I want to show you something. I need to prove I'm not crazy."

Approaching the gate of his house, Calvin began searching for any traces of the shimmering goo on the ground, the trees, or stuck in the bark. Was there any of it on the side of his house? Nothing. Not a single glob in sight. Calvin felt the weight of frustration building, his hand nervously reaching up to his hair. The goo had to be nearby. It had to be!

Oh great, she must think I'm out of my mind.

"I don't think you're crazy," Shine interjected, glancing around as the leaves rustled. Calvin paused, his attention now on her.

"That was the second time," he pointed in her direction. Calvin had sensed something peculiar about Shine, as if she could read his thoughts. How was that even possible?

"What do you mean?" Shine looked confused, searching for answers.

"I didn't say anything out loud. I was just thinking to myself," Calvin explained, observing as her eyes darted left and right. It didn't make sense. Somehow, she had heard his thoughts.

Taken aback, Shine took a step back, her expression mirroring Calvin's disbelief.

"Maybe it wasn't... you," she suggested, whirling around. "Perhaps it was someone else who walked by?"

Calvin shook his head, his thoughts racing. He wanted to confirm if Shine could truly hear him. This time, he focused on her, fixing his gaze straight ahead. Shine's eyes widened, and she lost her balance, her hand instinctively reaching for her forehead.

"How in the hell can I hear you? What's happening to me?" she exclaimed, pacing back and forth in a state of panic. Her breaths became erratic as she rubbed her temples, staring at the ground. "You didn't speak out loud, and I still heard your thoughts."

"That's exactly what I've been trying to tell you," Calvin stepped forward, his voice gentle. "Now you know how I felt with the old lady." Shine appeared dazed, her gaze lost in confusion. Calvin realized it was time to focus on their purpose. He entered his home, and on the steps, he spotted the glitter he had been searching for.

"Over here," he whispered, gesturing for Shine to come closer.

Calvin turned, but when he didn't hear her footsteps, he looked back to see her still in shock from hearing his thoughts. Shine swallowed, regaining her composure.

Calvin knelt, pointing at the black, glittery substance. "That's the goo I've been talking about. It's been appearing all over this house. It even attacked me."