Tricks and more Tricks *

Hope shattered as fear took hold. In the midst of two disparate worlds, the significance of saving a life in Reve seemed uncertain. Kayva's cottage sealed its windows, a tangible barrier against the unfolding chaos. 

Calvin's mind struggled to grasp the surreal reality playing out before him. With a frown etched on his face, he instinctively pulled his hood back over his head and swiveled around to face the source of salvation—the figure donned in a magenta and white cape.

Swiftly navigating through the bustling crowd of Murdoc's villagers, Calvin followed along the dirt path with cautious steps, mindful not to stumble on the treacherous gravel beneath his feet. Casting a quick glance behind him, he anxiously wondered if he had attracted undue attention. The last thing he desired was to be exposed as an outsider in this realm. The Everguards were outcasts in Reve, their presence unwelcome.

Sneaking past the hulking, grotesque creatures that resembled a fusion of goblins and trolls, Calvin observed their hairy arms and shaggy manes. Warts adorned their limbs and noses, concealed beneath tattered black and gray rags. As he traversed the path, a small roadside stall caught his eye, but he hurriedly turned the corner, finding himself amidst a vibrant array of shops and alleys.

His savior deftly maneuvered through the myriad of creatures populating the black market, evading detection.

"Three fuzzy nixes, please!" an elderly woman exclaimed, her elongated, crimson tongue licking her nose. A monkey-like creature swung from one shop roof to another, morphing into a girl with curly black hair, swaying her hips and strutting between the villagers.

"Seven bones for the snake skin!" a goblin with a salivating mouth hollered from his stool. "Going once, going twice!" he declared.

A fairy fluttered into view. "Ten bones for the snake skin," she declared, extending her hand.

"Twenty bones for the skin, sir!" a pink-haired fairy jostled the other fairy, forcefully edging her out of contention.

"Sold to Ms. Pinkerwik," the goblin grunted, flinging the snake skin toward the victorious fairy as she soared above the rooftops.

Calvin hurriedly moved forward, trying his best to keep pace with the person who had saved him. He observed his savior deftly pilfering bags from unsuspecting creatures before dashing toward an illuminated cottage resonating with lively music.

The cacophony of raucous voices enveloped him, overwhelming his senses. He winced as spittle struck his cheeks and the crowd jostled him about. In the midst of the commotion, someone inadvertently trampled upon his cape, yanking him backward.

 Spinning around, his jaw clenched, he locked eyes with the same ragged green creature from the cottage who had sought to end his life. The creature hastily scurried away into the distance.

Confusion gnawed at Calvin as he pondered the nature of these enigmatic beings.

"They're rats." Calvin heard telepathically, he glanced up at a lady with black furry ears and a bushy tail. She crossed her legs, exuding confidence. Her yellow eyes locked onto his, and a mischievous smile played on her lips. Without uttering a word, she communicated her unique ability - mind reading - by splaying out her fingers and tapping them in the air. Calvin felt a mix of intrigue and apprehension as he realized he was dealing with someone extraordinary.

"Come on over, cutie," she purred, her voice dripping with a playful tone. "Is it your first time here?" Her words hinted at a hidden world he had stumbled upon. The lady's feline-like eyes held a captivating allure, simultaneously inviting and dangerous. "Let me treat you to a one-time free-of-service reading," she offered, her voice a seductive whisper. "It's on me." She batted her long lashes, amplifying the enchanting effect.