To Kill a Queen *

"Have you retraced your steps for it?" Shine's voice picked up, brimming with concern. "How could you lose your wand, you just had it?" Calvin's eyes darted around the room, frantically searching for the missing weapon, but he kept silent, avoiding Shine's question. The weight of the situation pressed on him, and he could feel the remnants of Vinnie's touch lingering on his skin, a constant reminder of his own foolishness.

"I think I know where I left it, I'll go back and get it later," Calvin finally replied, trying to sound more confident than he felt.

"Are you serious? That wand is really important, Cal," Shine insisted, her worry evident.

"I know, okay!" Calvin's frustration boiled over, and he gestured wildly, accidentally sending a picture flying off the wall, shattering it into pieces. Shine took a step back, startled by the sudden outburst. Calvin's breath hitched as he tried to regain control, his eyes welling up with tears. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to—"

"Whatever," Shine sighed, clearly hurt by Calvin's actions. She pushed the concealed wall aside and entered the Fae Guard's room, giving Calvin some space.

Feeling remorseful, Calvin gently placed the locket he kept inside his shirt on the table. "This is Claera's locket. She's the—"

"I know who she is, Calvin," Shine said, her voice laced with confidence, "the elves told me everything." She crossed her arms, conveying her determination. "What about her?" She moved closer to the beautiful piece of jewelry, her eyes focused on it intently. With a gentle wave of her palm above it, the purple jewel placed in the middle of the locket started glowing. "Why am I feeling dark energy from this?"

"Claera sealed her heart in this locket; it has the power to kill her for good," Calvin explained, his face solemn. He paused for a moment, gathering his thoughts. "Where's Trae? I feel like he needs to be here with us."

"When we came back, he went to the mountains for answers, I believe," Shine replied, a troubled expression crossing her face. Suddenly, realization dawned upon her. "I'm stupid, oh my gosh." She covered her mouth with her hand, feeling regretful. "Before we left Mogdor, there was a dragon, Calvin." She pondered for a second. "It was black and breathed blue fire; it destroyed Mogdor and the demons that lived there."

"I saw how destroyed it was."

"Tinaera gave me the dragon guard's wand; she said something about keeping it safe." She placed her hand on her forehead, trying to recall the events. "So, this locket—"

Calvin interrupted her, his tone urgent, "you left a valuable wand in your home?" His eyes widened in disbelief. In an instant, he closed his eyes and blinked out of the room, reappearing in Shine's living room.

Startled, Shine followed him, demanding to know, "What's your problem?"

A loud crash of glass came from the kitchen. Calvin rushed over, catching sight of someone running out of the house with a glowing wand in their grip. He glanced back at Shine. "That's my problem," he grunted before dashing out of the house. The person had raised their hands, creating a pink portal with black swirls, and with a swift leap, they vanished within it, disappearing from sight.

"Great, they went back to Reve," Calvin said, his voice tinged with a hint of defeat, as if he'd encountered this setback one too many times.

"It's okay, Andre taught me how to summon portals," Shine replied, her eyes gleaming with newfound confidence.

"Who?" Calvin asked, still puzzled.

Shine brushed off his question, her determination unwavering. She stepped closer to the wall of her house, her hand pressed firmly against its surface. In an instant, a soft, luminescent green portal materialized before them, casting an otherworldly glow on her veins outlined in the same ethereal shade.