Call Me Crazy *

Calvin's eyelids fluttered open, and he found himself immersed in the soft murmur of his mother's voice blending with another's. Curiosity stirred within him, and he strained his ears to catch snippets of their conversation that drifted into his room.

The familiar voice belonged to his mother, Jennifer, while the other woman's voice was new to him. "It's such a relief to have you back, Jennifer. Shine mentioned a new boy she met, and I wondered who the new neighbors could be. When I saw it was you, I felt at ease. You know, random newcomers aren't common in Evergreen." Laughter erupted, followed by a subtle throat-clearing. "How's Calvin? Have you heard anything?" The other woman's voice lowered, tinged with concern. "Have you—"

"He's not ready for any of this," his mother's weary voice interjected. Calvin feigned sleep as his mother passed by, taking a quick glance into the living room. He observed her leading the guest to the front door, their conversation fading as they stepped outside and closed the door behind them.

Curiosity gnawed at Calvin, prompting him to eavesdrop on their passing conversation through the open window. He strained to catch their words, hoping to unravel the mystery. What were they discussing?

"I'm sorry for leaving. I had to do what was best for Calvin," his mother's voice reached him, tinged with a hint of regret. "I want you to understand that he won't be dragged into this. I didn't have a choice, but my son does." Calvin caught a glimpse of his mother standing in the doorway as the door opened once again.

"I'm not so sure about that," the neighbor lady responded.

As his mother closed the door and ascended the stairs, Calvin's curiosity remained unsatisfied. But his thoughts were interrupted by a knock at the door, jolting him from his bed. Intrigued, he made his way to answer it, his mind buzzing with anticipation.

"Hey!" Shine's familiar voice greeted him with a smile as he opened the door. "Even though we're in such a secluded place, there are things to explore in town. Want to come check it out?"

Calvin scratched his back, his weariness still lingering, but his curiosity won over. He nodded, unable to hide his growing excitement. "Just let me change real quick." He closed the door slowly, a grin forming on his face.

Shine strolled along the elegant cobblestone pavement with an air of adventure, while Calvin, still half-asleep, trudged up the stairs into his room. As he entered, his foot unexpectedly landed on a sticky substance that sizzled against his skin.

He hopped onto the bed, inspecting his foot, only to find the same slimy, glittering goo he had encountered before. Flicking it off proved futile; instead, it stuck to his finger, burning with a slow intensity. Biting his lip, he hurried to the bathroom, determined to cleanse himself of the strange substance.

The goo plopped into the sink and dissipated, leaving Calvin perplexed. However, his attention was immediately captured by the cracked mirror. Shock coursed through him as he stumbled back, his reflection completely vanished! A surge of dizziness overwhelmed him, his heart racing as panic gripped his chest. Frantically, he tugged at his shirt's hem, gasping for breath, desperate to regain his sense of reality.

Unaware of the peculiar events occurring within Calvin's room, his mother hummed a tune as she entered, carrying a laundry bucket. "Hey there," she chimed, placing the bin of clothes on his bed. Folding some of his old shirts and pants, she continued, "How do you like the place? Are you settling in okay?" Calvin struggled to find an answer, his mind still reeling from the strange happenings. Before he could respond, the doorbell chimed through the house, saving him from formulating a reply.

"That must be Lillian again. Goodness, what does she want?" Calvin's mother paused and then headed out of the room.

"I'll get it, Mom!" He darted past her in the hallway and raced down the stairs, his eagerness to escape the perplexing situation overpowering him.