The Library *

The Realtor's smile was saccharine, concealing secrets. It was a standard practice for Realtors to hide information and present properties in their best light. They were skilled deceivers, capable of concealing even the darkest history. While technically within the legal boundaries, Calvin couldn't shake the feeling that something was amiss. The thought of being haunted for the first time unnerved him, and he had no intention of experiencing it.

His new house raised suspicions in Calvin's mind.

Various unsettling thoughts swirled in his head—glittery goo, his bouts of invisibility, and Leia's name etched in his closet. An ocean in the heart of Colorado? It sounded utterly implausible, defying all logical reasoning. He resolved to take matters into his own hands. The fear of being branded as crazy by others didn't deter him. Soon, he would embark on a detective mission, fully aware that it might lead to yet another move.

***

Calvin strolled alongside Shine, and they found themselves in an ice cream parlor. As Shine relished her sugary treat, Calvin contemplated whether it was the right moment to seek answers about Evergreen.

Playing with his ice cream using his spoon, he finally looked up and said, "You expect me not to freak out about there being an ocean right over the cliff where we live? How has nobody ever questioned it? Are we even in Colorado?" He caught his breath.

Shine narrowed her eyes at him and quipped, "Of course, there's an ocean over the cliff."

Calvin huffed in response. "Did you not hear what I just said?" He rolled his eyes and shook his head.

"I did, but have you considered the lakes in the surrounding mountains?" she retorted.

"What does that have to do with an ocean in the middle of nowhere?" he queried.

"Look, I get what you mean." She glanced up at him. "Vera and Trae have been wondering the same thing. Growing up in Evergreen, having an ocean nearby seemed normal to me, I guess?" She walked over to dispose of her ice cream cup, and Calvin followed suit. They left the parlor and headed down the road, moving in the direction of the mountain. "If you start asking the townspeople—"

"Who said I was planning to?" he interjected.

"You wouldn't be the first," she replied, placing her hands on her hips. "And honestly, the townspeople wouldn't have a clue about what you're talking about. I've tried asking before." She glanced around cautiously, aware that being overheard discussing this would earn them the label of "the crazies" in town. "For some reason, they don't believe me," she whispered.

I don't think Mom took us to Colorado.

Calvin and Shine approached a shop's corner, revealing a gondola suspended from a cable line, shuttling people up and down the mountain. "They don't even know about Evergreen Drive."

Calvin stepped back, taking in the surroundings. How could the residents of Silverton remain oblivious to a set of houses just a few miles outside of town? The town itself was so small that its citizens could easily spot the road leading to Evergreen. Main Street wasn't that long.

"I had the same thought," Shine said, shaking her head as she crossed her arms, attempting to ward off the chill in the air.

Calvin narrowed his eyes. "You thought so too?"

Shine turned, furrowing her eyebrows. "Yeah, didn't you mention something about Main Street?"

Calvin didn't recall saying anything aloud; perhaps he had been mumbling his thoughts. He dismissed the moment, turning Shine around to face him. "Something feels off about this town and Evergreen."