Chapter 24

I had awoken a little earlier than planned. My eyes fought against the sleep before I was successfully able to pull myself out of bed. I yawned and stretched, noticing the still quiet atmosphere. Shrugging it away, I headed out the door and downstairs for breakfast. 

"Anyone home?" I announced. Silence. 

It was peculiar that no one was here. Ever since mother had been bedridden at the hospital, the house hasn't been as lively as it was. Sort of at least. 

I wiped the sleep out of my eyes, as I poured the water to the kettle, spilling a little of the water to the sink. I always enjoyed a coffee in the morning, or tea, but I wasn't quite accustomed to making my own breakfast yet. I sighed, waiting for the water to boil, while leaning against the counter. 

I missed (F/N). Whether or not I refused to admit it to myself, I had missed her. I never realized how her very presence was enough to lighten up my mood for the morning. I never realized how much I missed her delicious breakfast as well. I hoped to see her soon. 

A sudden buzzing against my pocket knocked me out of my thoughts. I fished inside my pocket, and whipped out my phone. The caller ID name made me jolt.

'Text Message : Freya Darling (1)'. 

I hurriedly swiped my phone, quickly entering the pass code to unlock it. 

'Hey Robbie. Just wanted to drop by and apologize for what'd happened to your mother. You have my sympathy. I know you're in California at the moment, maybe even in need of a companion. Fortunately, I happen to be here as well due to a business trip. If you're up to it, meet me at the coffee shop near the public library later around 1. I will be waiting.'

I didn't bother to reply, instead shutting my phone off and slipping it back inside my pocket. I glanced at the clock. 8:27 A.M. I had plenty of freetime. Maybe after the coffee, I can proceed to shower. 

The sound of the kettle whistling startled me, and I'd hurriedly shut the stove, pouring the hot water on my mug. Good morning to me. 

The bristling sound of the water dropping against my bare skin felt refreshing. I hadn't known how long I'd been standing under the shower. I tend to stay inside for longer than planned as I reevaluate my life choices. I combed my fingers through my wet hair, slicking it back. 

My head was pounding. The thought of the divorce could not leave my mind. I was still holding on to that hope. I had prayed that whatever I had planned will eventually happen. It was eating me alive, and even the warmest shower could not calm my shaking nerves. 

Deciding that my showering would not do the California drought justice, I left, but I was unable to leave the lingering and troubled thoughts in my head. 

I'd decided to meet up with Freya at the end. I really needed to clear my mind. I needed to distract myself from this, and I knew nothing but a small talk with her would help me. 

12:20 P.M. 

With a press, my car had locked. I wasn't surprised to see her figure hunched over to her cup of coffee. She must've spotted me through the clear glass, and immediately waved to me, enthusiastically. I raised a hand in acknowledgement, and pushed my way through the doors. She had a bright smile, as I'd walked over to her. 

Freya followed my figure as I seated myself comfortably in front of her. She was beaming, and it puzzled me slightly. I've never seen a woman so happy. 

"I'm so glad you can make it." Her smile turned into a crestfallen look. "Although, I really do apologize. I heard about your mother, and I wanted to check if you were dealing with this just fine."