Chapter 23

I stayed on my seat, frozen. Not a single muscle have moved from the very minute those words had left her lips.

'You will no longer continue this marriage for a year'.

I would've jumped, I would've cheered. But why does it feel as if my heart was ripped from my chest?

My mother noticed my sudden silence, and she squeezed my hand.

"Isn't that what you've been dreading, dear? To be away from her? To finally receive that freedom you've ever so craved?"

I opened my mouth to speak, but I couldn't release a single sound. Instead I lowered my gaze, and I felt my mother shift on her bed. I'd leaned over to help her, but she held a palm, signaling she's got herself in control.

"Tell me, Robbie. Have you fallen for her?"

Have I? Am I going to continue lying to myself and say no?

"Well, dear, have you?"

I shook my head, "Don't be ridiculous. As if I would ever fall for her." 

'Lies. I've fallen for her so damn hard, I can't imagine anything without her.' 

The thought of the contract being torn, had killed me. It was such an unfamiliar feeling that I can't even imagine it ever happening. I can't lose her. I don't want to lose her. 

My mother nodded, "My hunch was correct after all. You never indeed had loved her. I'm so sorry dear, for ever making this ridiculous decision. I guess, you're incapable of falling in love."

My head shot up. "What? You arranged a marriage for myself to test if I was capable of feeling love?!" 

I was bewildered. Was this entire arrangement a set up?

Her lids lowered, as if shameful for her actions. I immediately felt guilt rush over me. I'd forgotten she was sick. 

"Yes, it was. Darling, I was so fed up with you treating women as if they're your dolls. I disliked that awful behavior. So I'd come to the conclusion for you to try and treat women the respect they deserve. And that, is by locking you in this commitment," Mother sighed, "..but from what I can see, it's the same thing. You haven't fallen for her, nor have you changed. I'm disappointed, but I cannot allow you to suffer over something you dislike. So please, pardon me and your father. We only wanted the best for you." 

She'd reached for the drawer, and pulled out a stack of papers. She'd neatly arranged them, before handing them over to my grip with a pen. 

"If you sign this, and she signs it as well, the marriage will be out of your hair." 

Just the bare title of the page was enough to bring a shiver down my spine. 

A divorce. 

Just a signature and everything will end. Will this be it? Will I ever see her again?

No, I will be able to. It takes two signatures for a divorce to be valid. If I never mention any of this to her, she will be perfectly fine. She won't have to sign anything. I can stay married to her.

I trembled reaching for the pen. For the first time, I was shaking. For the first time, I was afraid to lose a woman. I shut my eyes, and re-opened them. The sight of my signature now clear against my sight. If I can turn back time and admit that I love her, I would've. But my pride was too high. 

The slip of papers felt heavy as I've returned them to my mother. She took them with ease, and placed them back inside the drawer. She'd turned back to look at me, but must've noticed the solemn look in my eyes. 

"..Robbie, are you alright? You look troubled." She asked, reaching for me.

"I-I'm fine. Just," I looked up, forcing a grin. "I can't believe I'm finally free." 

The ride back to my old home in California, felt like the airplane trip. I had too many things in my mind, and I was overwhelmed. Personally, it was giving me a headache, and I couldn't find the reason to calm myself down. The grip I had against the wheel was more than just a squeeze. It felt like I was holding on to it for my dear, pathetic life. 

I licked my lips, then pressing them together. Luckily, the house wasn't that far from the hospital, and I've arrived in time. 

The door opened with a creak, and my palm reached for the light switch. The house was exactly the same, save it for a few dirty dishes, and some paintings on the wall. Shutting the door behind me, I'd pushed my way around the house. 

It was empty. I wonder where my father had gone. Maybe he was also at work, or I'd missed him at the hospital. I heaved another huge sigh, my head was spinning. My thoughts were jumbled. 

I trudged up the stairs, and in to my room. Numerous memories of when I first slept with (F/N) came to my mind. 

I smiled. 

I remember when she was too shy to even lay next to me. And persists on pushing me away. 

I remember our night at the market. And how our kiss was cock-blocked by one of the servants. The stars were not aligned for me that day. 

I remember our first night. The very first night she'd given herself to me. I was grateful. I now know how an angel must've felt. It was a blissful night, for me at least. 

My lids closed. I couldn't fight the sleep anymore. 

The last thing I remember, was holding on to the last shred of hope that I had, that we will never be apart.