24

NOT EDITED:

Sapphire wiped away a single tear as she stared at her reflection in the full length mirror. Logan didn't return. Her heart broke at the mere thought. How could he do this to her?  He had promised her that he would get her out of this mess. Tomorrow was the wedding and she had no clue what was she going to do.

she studied her reflection in the mirror and sighed. She looked stunning. The emerald green floor length velvet dress she wore hugged her body like a second skin. Her silky black hair fell over her right shoulder in light curls. Her makeup professionally done. There was no doubt that tonight she was going to be the centre of attention.

Patrick Rodriguez had hosted a ball to celebrate  the return of his daughter and also to announce the engagement. In other words this ball was mainly hosted in honour of his lovely daughter. A ball Sapphire had no interest in attending. "Are you sure I can't call in sick?" she asked the Maid who had helped her dress.

The young woman's eyes went wide at her unexpected question, "I..um..I'm sorry Ms Rodriguez,  but I don't think that's possible." she replied awkwardly her cheeks pink with embarrassment. Sapphire sighed heavily, of course it wasn't. She closed her eyes and took a few deep calming breaths.

"Can you get me a glass of wine please?" she asked. The girls eyes lit up at the thought of leaving. She nodded eagerly and replied a polite "Of course Ms Rodriguez." and scurried away leaving her alone in the room to tend to her own thoughts. Letting out a frustrated sigh She walked up to the window.

Leaning against the window frame she stared at the beautiful vineyard that was being decorated for tomorrow's big day. It was believed that this was going to be the greatest and the most expensive wedding of this season. And she couldn't help but wonder what would happen if the wedding was called off.

The Maid returned with the ordered glass of vine and almost immediately scurried away. Sapphire lifted the goblet To her lips and took a long sip of the white vine. The cold sparkling liquid soothed her tensed body letting it relax a little. This is what she needed and she took another sip and another, and another.

A knock at her door made her tear her eyes off the window. "Come in." she commanded. And with the click of the door knob, the door opened and Noel walked in. His face plastered with a bright smile and his eyes bright with excellent. His eyes widened as he studied her appearance. "You look beautiful." he breathed as he placed a gentle kiss on her cheeks.

"Thanks." she murmured with a fake smile on her face. Her hands itched to wiped the spot were his lips had just touched. But she reminded herself that there was still hope and Logan might be here any time. And she couldn't risk anybody suspecting anything. At least not until she was out of here safe and sound.

"So shall we?" he asked as he held out his hand for her. Not having much of a choice she gently placed her hand in his. He linked his arm with her's and led her out of the room, and towards the grand staircase that led to the enormous ball room. Which was elegantly decorated for the evening. An evening in honour of the beauty in his arms.

All eyes turned towards the grand staircase as the couple elegantly walked down the stairs. Hushed whispers echoed through the room as everyone watched them in awe. "She's so beautiful." someone said. "They look so good together." another woman gushed. "I love that dress." and the murmurs continued till they reached the base of the stairs.

"You look beautiful honey." Caroline Harrison gushed as she rushed towards them and pulled her into a tight hug. "Mom, you are making her uncomfortable." Noel snapped, irritated by his mother's over excited outburst. "Don't be ridiculous Son." she scolded flashing him a stern look that said she wasn't interested in any of his shit.