No News

After your training with Dean you felt strung up, full of nervous energy with no place to release it. You followed Sam into the house, hoping a little bit of research might take your mind off of it. And Cas was back, maybe he had some more information on your predicament.

Sam held the door open for you, giving you a dimpled smile as you walked past him. Bobby was grumbling on one of the phones hanging from the wall, something about being an FBI director. You glanced at Sam, trying to figure out what was going on. "Yeah, Bobby pretends to be the big boss for all of us hunters when we need it. Sometimes our fake badges aren't enough."

You nodded, impressed with how well everything seemed to be handled. Sam guided you into the Den, where Cas stood, staring down at a piece of parchment that was laying on the desk. "Hi Cas." You said, happy to see the Angel.

He looked up, a brief smile crossing his face before it was gone. "Y/N. How are you?"

You self reflected, more than a little surprised to find that you were in fact okay. With everything that had gone on, you thought you would be a mess, but being taken in by Sam and Dean had seemed to help. "I'm okay. Truthfully."

He stared at you, his ocean blue eyes seeming to deepen as he looked past your skin, straight into your soul. "You do seem better. Still hurting, but not as bad as the last time I saw you. There seems to be a fire burning deep within you. A fire that will fuel you, and not let you give in to despair." He told you, and your eyes widened.

"You could seriously tell all of that by just looking at me?"

He nodded. "That and a lot more. But that will be left for another time. But I do think your time with Sam and Dean has greatly benefited you."

Sam came forward, resting his hand on your shoulder, and you tensed under the contact. You weren't sure about this Winchester yet. He wasn't as easy to read as his brother. One moment it seemed like he liked you, and wanted to help you. And the next moment it was if he couldn't wait to get you out of his hair. It was unsettling, and you found yourself always on guard around him.

"And she's greatly benefited us." He said, surprising you, and you looked up to see those amazing blueish green eyes staring down at you. You blushed under his gaze, turning your attention back to Cas.

"So Cas, have you found out anything else about my predicament?"

"Not yet. But I do know that Uriel is planning on striking again, and soon. I just don't know how, or when. I fear that my angel warding on your ribs might not even be enough against him and Raphael." He said, looking crestfallen that he couldn't protect you any better.

"But, with Sam and Dean here, and you, and even Bobby, they won't be foolish enough to try anything here, will they?" You asked, your heart speeding up at the thought of that man, no Angel, getting a hold of you.

"I don't know." He answered truthfully. "I wish there was more I could do."

"You, along with Sam and Dean have done more than I had even expected. And no matter what happens, there is no way I will be able to pay you back." You answered.

"I'm needed back in Heaven. I will keep searching for answers, and try to track Uriel's movements. Just keep on guard." He told you before vanishing.

Sam turned you to face him, trying to reassure you. "Don't worry. Dean and I won't let anything happen to you. We've dealt with Angels before, and we know what to do."

You wondered if he was just saying this, or if he truly meant it. Deep down the words he had spoken earlier still brought pain to your heart, and you couldn't help but think that he was counting down the hours until he was rid of you. "It's alright Sam. I know you don't exactly want me around. You don't have to feel responsible for me."

His entire body stiffened, his mouth opening to form a soft o, before frowning. "Y/N I..." He started, but you interrupted him, not wanting to hear any excuses. It surprised you how much it hurt, to know this man didn't care for you at all.

"Sam, it's alright. I know I'm just one more issue for you and your brother. One that poses a whole new set of dangers for you. And as soon as I can, I will get back on my feet, and out of your hair." You told him, the pain in your chest growing with each word. It amazed you how much Sam and Dean had come to mean to you in such a short amount of time. 

He sighed, running his hands through his amazing locks, before turning his gaze back on you. "Y/N, sit down. Please. I think I need to explain myself."

You sat down on the window seat, tensing a little when he joined you, his knee brushing yours. Wrapping your arms around yourself, you waited for his words. For him to tell you that you were just a silly girl, that after they took care of Uriel he was going to send you packing. That you really didn't mean anything to him, or his brother. 

"Y/N, I'm sorry you heard what I said this morning, and I'm sorry for what I said. But it probably sounded worse than I meant it." He started.

"What did you mean by it?" You asked, your tone snarky, showing that you weren't sure you were going to listen to his excuses.

"Its just that....I...hunting is a hard life. And it takes it's toll on everyone, turning people old fast, if not killing them quickly. I just didn't want that for you. I wanted you to stay as far away from that life, and that included training with Dean." He stuttered his way through his explanation. 

Tucking your leg underneath you, you turned to face him. "Why? Because you think I can't handle myself? Because I'm too much of a wimp, or you think I'm too fragile? Because Sam, I can handle myself better than you think. And that's not your decision to make anyways. So thanks, but no thanks, I can decide for myself." 

You moved to stand up, but he grabbed your hand, stopping you. "It's not that, not at all. I just didn't want to see that light in your eyes, and the bounce in your step vanish, that's all. You are an amazing person, sweet, kind, and still full of hope. I don't want hunting to squash that."

You sat back down, Sam's words diffusing your anger. "Sam, I get that you're trying to protect me, to save me from a life that maybe you didn't want for yourself. But can we just wait and see where things go? Take things one step at a time."

He nodded, knowing he had no other choice but to agree. "As long as you stick to research and training. Let Dean and I do the big jobs. I know we haven't known each other very long, but I like you Y/N, and I don't want anything to happen to you."

Before you could say anything, not that the words would come out anyways, you heard the slam of a door, and the stomping of Dean's feet as he opened the fridge. "How's the research going? What did Cas want?" His voice rang out, his smile leaving his face as he saw the two of you sitting close together on the window seat.