Chapter 1:

You do not argue about where the snake in your home came from. You get rid of it.

African proverb.

Fiona woke up, believing what she had seen was her imagination playing tricks on her. It certainly wasn't a ghost she had seen in the car park. And why think that in the first place? Bloody stupid.

'Forget it.' She thought to herself. The best thing to do with it and she went out into the hallway, where she saw Steven. By the looks of him, he had been up for some time. His face didn't reflect the mirror of somebody; who had just woken up!

It had a nice — summer touch to it. Nothing new in that — Steven always looked good, not as handsome as somebody doing a shoot for OKAY magazine. But in Fiona's eyes, he would do.

Busy with a box in his hand — he took it to the kitchen, and Fiona wanted to know.

'When did you get up?'

'Ages ago.'

'And the girls?'

'Still sleeping.'

'Not for long. They won't be. We got a lot on today.'

'You can say that again.'

And they did. Moving into a new home was always a busy time. It was up there with getting married, not the deed itself, but everything in between.

'So, how are you feeling, nervous?'

'Not really. I just want today to be over and done with.'

'Don't we all.'

'You can say that again. I just can't believe today has finally come. One more day in this flat, I would have gone crazy.'

'I thought that happened years ago.' Steven joked.

'You know what I mean.'

And Steven did; the flat was tiny, they needed more room, and the new house on Richmond Street would certainly give them that. It had three bedrooms.

With that happy thought in mind, Fiona told Steven she was going to take a shower.

And there, underneath the showerhead, she thought about the new home, surprised the housing association had pulled their finger out so quickly.

Most tenants would have to wait five to ten years for a new home, but Fiona only had to wait three years.

Was that odd? Not really, just lucky. And drying herself, getting dressed. She went to the girl's bedroom.

She and Steven had booked the removal team for nine-thirty; therefore, the girls couldn't be in their beds until they felt like getting up. It was almost seven-thirty.

Harmony, twelve years of age with piercing blue eyes, swung the bedsheets over her head in protest.

'It's too early.' She said.

'Yeah, way too early.' Katrina joined in.

She and her sister were never morning people during the school holidays. They had a vampire routine. Sleep during the day and stay awake all night.

But this morning, they were getting up early. And to prove that — Fiona drew back the curtains.

Seeing as she did, the state of the bedroom, clothes scattered on the floor, makeup everywhere, crisp packets next to the rubbish bin: the room was a tip.

'Mum!' Katrina screeched.

'Never mind saying mum to me. Look at this bedroom. It's a freaking mess.'

'Stop nagging.'