16. Soulmates

The tweezer is currently shaking uncontrollably in my hand as I reach down for the bullet in Nathan's chest. The bullet is in, sort of deep, meaning I have to dig through him to get it out. There's no anesthesia or numbing cream, meaning this is going to hurt him a lot more than getting shot, and I'm going to feel every bit of it. I finally stick the tweezer into the wound and try to dig for the bullet. Nathan screams out in pain as John holds him down. I can hear his heart pick up and the blood start to pool out of the wound. I can feel the hunger kicking and screaming inside of me, begging me to drink his delicious blood that's like no other. I take the tweezers out and my hand pauses. All I can do is stare at his blood. I know I shouldn't drink from him but I almost can't help myself. John looks up at me and realizes what's happening.

"Jessica, look at me," he says, grabbing my hand. "Look, I know it's tempting, but you have to control yourself. My brother is dying, okay? And you need to save him, just like he saved you. I know you don't want to be a monster... so don't."

His words linger inside my head, fighting against the hunger controlling me. My breathing becomes abnormal, so I squeeze his hand. For a guy I hate, he sure brings me a lot of comfort. He squeezes my hand back and gives me a look of reassurance. I take a deep breath, and stick the tweezers back into Nathan's chest. John continues to hold my other hand and it surprisingly keeps me in control. I dig through the wound and block out the screams coming out of Nathan's mouth. I finally feel a hard piece of metal and I grab it with my tweezers. I pull it out, as fast as I can, and then throw a shit load of gauze on the wound to keep it from bleeding out. I then tape the bandage across his chest, tightly, so there's pressure on the wound. He soon closes his eyes and falls asleep. I listen to his heart beat and it goes back to beating at a normal pace.

I exhale. "He's stable."

I look down and realize that John is still holding my hand. He pulls his hand away and wipes it on his jeans with a look of embarrassment on his face.

"So, who knew Jonathan Gray would hold the hand of a blood sucker?" I smirk and throw my hands on my hips.

He rolls his eyes. "That stays between you and me."

"You know, I have a reputation for men falling in love with me. You better not be one of those men." I smirk.

He replies and shoots me a smirk back. "Never."

He walks to the far side of the room, lays on a towel, and knocks out cold

He walks to the far side of the room, lays on a towel, and knocks out cold. I've come to the realization that maybe John isn't such a bad guy. Maybe he's nothing like his father and neither is Nathan. I look down at Nathan's sweaty, dirty body and run my fingers through his grimy hair. We all need a shower... maybe there's one somewhere in this building. I continue to stare at him and I can't stop thinking about what John said earlier. "I know how you feel about my brother and I know how he feels about you." That one sentence keeps running through my brain and it almost makes no sense. How could I possibly love someone I barely know? How can I love someone who's related to the evil man who ruined my life? How could this one person change everything about me and what I stand for? And then it hit me. This connection we feel for one another is nothing I've ever felt before and I've heard many legends about it.