14. Dead or Alive

I feel the man's hands release from my body as I'm thrown onto a bouncy object. I try not to grunt from the force of the throw and try to keep my body still. It sort of feels like I'm on a mattress, but I'm still not sure because it's pitch dark. I'm not sure where I am but I do know this building is located on the east side of the forest. The weird part is, I've traveled the east side of the forest many times, not once did I come across an enemy camp. They're obviously not bandits, so what other group dresses like gang members and kidnaps people?

Once the men leave the room I try to remove myself from the body bag. But, it's pretty much impossible because it's zipped from the outside. As I'm trying to get out, I start to get a little claustrophobic. It's almost hard to breathe and I start to panic, fearing I won't be able to get out. Just my luck, a few minutes later, people enter the room. I immediately stop trying to escape and pretend I'm passed out, once again. I feel four hands go under my body, two under my back and two under my legs. They lift me up and I'm once again being carried to another location. After of few minutes of being carried, I'm set down feet first. They unzip the bag, and I let my head hang down to indicate that I'm unconscious. Once I'm out of the bag,  they grab both of my arms and put them above my head. They chain my arms together tightly and leave the room. It's dead silent, but I remain still. I know people are watching, I can feel their eyes locked on me and studying me. I have to make sure they think I'm human.

Suddenly, a whole bucket of ice water splashes in my face, soaking my hair and clothes. I'm assuming they just did that to wake me up so I make sure to dramatically open my eyes in surprise.

"What the hell? Where am I?!" I yell and pull at the chains holding me up. I'm in some sort of torture room, there are chains and saws and torture beds. No way a bandit camp would have all of this. A Persian lady in a lab coat is standing in front of me with the empty bucket of water she just threw on me. Her name tag says "Ruby". Two large men stand behind her in black shirts and cargo pants with a skull ski masks on.

The Persian lady smirks at me once I recognize where her lab coat comes from.

"Welcome to the Saviors," she says. How the hell did I not know about this camp? I know every inch of these woods by heart and have seen every Savior camp in every state. They must be lying.

"I thought the Saviors were supposed to help people, not torture them," I spit out.

She gives me a devious smile. "We only help the innocent. Plus, this isn't an actual savior camp. This is merely a research camp, with a few torture chambers."

Well that's why I didn't know about it, research camps are hidden. I've never been able to find one. But why have they kidnapped us? And what makes her think I'm not innocent when I've acted human?

"What makes you think I'm not innocent?"

"I never said you weren't," she says, pulling her lab coat across her chest.

Shit, she has a point.

"But... I do have my suspicions," she says taking a step towards me, " You see, word has gone around that our main camp has been destroyed by demons. But there's also a rumor that a girl had recently joined the camp, and the camp went in ruins a few days later. And another rumor that Nathan and Jonathan Gray left with that girl, who happens to be a katana master. I mean, what are the odds?"

I keep a straight face. "First of all, it wasn't my fault that your research team lost control of the demons they kept. Stupid idea, by the way. Second of all, what the hell is a katana?"