S.S 2

Archer's POV

I'm sorry, I can't hang out tonight. Something came up. I love you.

Typical Lennox. Just like that he cancelled on me. Something came up. Something always came up. For the past couple of months it had been the same story. He didn't even have the decency to tell me what that something was. He didn't have the decency to actually call me. He would call the next day. Say he was sorry. Say his dog had to go to the vet. That's if his grandma didn't have to go the emergency room.

"Fuck!" I said and threw my phone on the bed I was sitting on..

For a few seconds my eyes returned to the drawing pad I had balanced neatly on my lap. I had been sketching something. I tore the page, groaning before crushing it and throwing it onto the floor. My eyes followed it and for a fleeting second I caught sight of the beautiful eyes I had drawn.

I sighed. The eyes belonged to one on the hottest guys at my former high school, Lennox Young. Lennox was what many would call silent but deadly. He didn't talk much. He wasn't aggressive and rarely responded to taunts. On the pitch he was deadly. He was the school's number one goal scorer in soccer. He was the state's best striker. Adored by many, hated by a few; he possessed charm that was addictive. He was the kind of guy you wanted to get a word out of, the kind whose thoughts you wanted to read.

He also happened to be my boyfriend of 2 years. As you may have noticed, things weren't going so great between us at that time. Lennox was the silent type. I knew that when I asked him out. I guess I thought he'd open up with me. He did for a while and now he was just shutting off again. I honestly didn't know what to do.

I released one more frustrated sigh just as my mom's voice travelled all the way upstairs from the kitchen. She was summoning me to the kitchen.

I closed my drawing pad and put it neatly on the bed.

"I'm coming!" I shouted back.

I stood up and walked to the kitchen, not before kicking the crushed paper out of my way.

Mom had just gotten back from work. It was a little over 4 pm. Working in a bank had its advantages. She was usually home by 4 pm on weekdays and 1 pm on Saturdays. That wasn't always good for me.

My mom loved and adored me, sometimes to a point of suffocation. She always wanted me close to her, wanted to know where I was and what time I was coming back. She was overprotective and at 18, I was not fond of her over-protectiveness. My protests fell on deaf ears of course. I was an only child; mom thought it was necessary to protect me from the evils of the world. She couldn't afford to lose her only child, something I thought was an exaggeration. Lately her smothering was increasing. It had to do with the fact that I was going off to college out of state soon, a decision she did not like.

Walking lazily, I finally made it to the kitchen. Mom was leaning over the kitchen counter, placing tins of beans neatly on it. There were several plastic bags on the counter, an indication she had gone grocery shopping. It was a surprise she was back so early if she'd taken a detour to the grocery store.

"Hi mom", I said as I walked over to her and kissed her on the cheek.

She fixed my hair, one thing on a long list of things she liked doing to me. "Hi. How was your day?"

"It was okay. How was work?" I said as I helped her pack the groceries.

"It was fine. Did you do anything?"

"I slept", I said grinning.

"All day?" she asked.

"Yeah. I do need it. I have been working hard for the past couple of months", I said grinning.