I Can't Quite Remember

I looked over to the table next to my hospital bed. A bowl of apple sauce and a coke. That's all they're letting me have right now for some reason, I can't remember. I looked up at the clock on the wall directly across from me. Three-in-the-morning. So much for getting rest.

I sighed, staring at nothing in particular. There was a soft knock at my door. Mila poked her head in, checking to see if I was asleep.

"Salutations," I oddly greeted. Mila gave me a strange look, then smiled.

"Hello. Why aren't you asleep?" She asked kindly, walking next to where I was laying.

"Well, if I couldn't sleep before this happened, then I'm not going to sleep now."

"Why couldn't you sleep? Or, why can't you sleep I should say."

"I've been asking myself the same question for a very, very long time," I said with a frown. The nurse patted my shoulder.

"I'm sorry. Do you want to talk about it? I may be just a nurse, but I'm a good listener."

"I don't. Sorry, it's just I was never really open about my problems in the first place."

"Don't apologize. It was none of my business anyway." She replied, shaking her head.

"Oh, I called the man who brought you here. He's on his way from.. well I don't know where he was, but he's on his way."

"Did you get his name?" I asked, somewhat impatiently.

"Oh, yes. Tyler. Tyler Joseph. Sound familiar? Do you know him?"

It didn't sound familiar. But it did at the same time. Like when you hear the name of a song, but can't quite remember the lyrics. I've been forgetting a ton of stuff, now that I think of it. I wonder why..

"No, I don't think so," I started. "You said the concussion I had healed, correct?"

"Yes but, I'm afraid there are some.. side affects, that will stick with you for the rest of your life. For example, memories that you could easily recall before, well, you probably can't remember them at all anymore. You suffered some serious brain damage. I'm sorry, (y/n)."

I didn't react. I just stared blankly at her. I'm not surprised, that my memory is faded, but my childhood, just.. just gone? That's it?

"Did he say when he'd be here?" I asked.

"No, he just said he was on his way."

"Okay. Can I be alone? Please?"

She nodded and left the room.

I felt the burning of tears in my eyes, but they never fell. Maybe losing my memory was for the best, maybe things will get better.

I doubt it.

Thank you, voice in my head, that's exactly what I needed. You can leave now.

That was my last though before I fell asleep.