Arrival

The bus arrives at the school. I can't believe I'm actually leaving. I'm excited and scared. I never imagined leaving my dad this early. 17 at the youngest. Not 14,

Me, Dime, and MacKenzie board the bus and find our seats at the back, father away from everyone else. "I'm excited, but I'm gonna miss Oliver and my parents," MacKenzie sighs.

"You'll get to see him during Thanks Giving and our breaks at least," I try to make up some positive remarks. I don't know what to say. I don't miss Nathan or Skyler. Come to think of it, I haven't talked to any of the guys from basketball in a while. It's definitely been a few months.

"I know, but that's not for like another 2 months. I already miss him and we haven't even left."

"You'll get through it MacKenzie. I know you will," I smile a little.

"Thanks Ace," she pulls me into a bug hug and I hug her back.

"You love birds done yet?" Dime yawns. I can't blame him. I'm tired too. It's 2:30 a.m. now and we don't leave until 3.

"Shut up Dime. It's our girl moment," I punch his arm lightly.

"Yeah that so hurt. Ouch I'm dying. Someone help, I need an ambulance," he cries out in the dullest voice ever. I roll my eyes. I lean my head up against the window and plug my earphones in.

I turn on I'm Low On Gas And You Need A Jacket by Pierce The Veil and close my eyes, cuddling the stuffed animal my dad gave me before he dropped me off. It was his mothers and now it's mine. I feel special just holding it. It's a piece of him to me. Aside from our DNA. "You okay Ace? You look kinda sad," Dime whispers into my ear. I look over at him and force a little grin.

"I'm fine. I'm just really tired and missing my dad already."

"I can relate to the tired part."

"How close were you and Dice?" His lips part from each other as if he's going to say something, but he turns his head so he's facing the front of the bus. He doesn't say anything for a few minutes. Maybe it's a touchy topic. "If it's something personal, you don't-"

"Dice, he's my cousin. And he's really the only family I had left," his voice explains in an almost whisper. It's low, but I can understand what he's saying. I look over at MacKenzie. She's already asleep with earphones in her ears. Something I wish I was doing.

"Had?"

"I'm leaving him now obviously."

"I know, but you can still talk to him and stuff."

"Yeah I know, but it's just not gonna be the same. I'm seriously gonna miss his teasing and insults. He's a jerk sometimes, but he means well."

"I can tell. He's nice to me. I'm sorry that you have to leave him." He turns his head and looks at me again. I still have yet to see his eyes. And I've known him for about 3 weeks now. But his hair is so long, thick, and dark that it prevents me from seeing what he hides behind it. But I never bring it up. I guess it's not that important. Though I'm curious sometimes.

"Why apologize for something you can't control? There's no point."

"It's a habit I guess."

"Yeah well we have a 5 hour drive ahead of us so get yourself comfortable."

"It's kinda hard getting even a bit  comfortable in a small seat like this," I move around a little."

"Here you go," he lifts my legs up and lays it down on his lap. "Is that better?"

"A lot better," I smile. His rare, but beautiful smile appears. He doesn't smile often, but when he does, it's golden. I lean my head back again against the window and shut my eyes.

***

"Wake up Ace, we're here now," Dime's soft voice says.

"Leave me alone," I groan. I'm exhausted. My eyes are still sealed shut.

"No," his arms wrap around me and he picks me up bridal style. I open my eyes and see him walking off the bus. He sets me down and we get our bags.

"How'd you sleep?" Dime carries my bags as we walk into the front office.

"Okay I guess, but I'm still very exhausted."

"I didn't go to sleep yet."

"You stayed up the whole ride?"

"Yeah I did. You're cute when you sleep," his cheeks turn a light pink shade.

"Does that mean I'm ugly when I'm awake?" I pout jokingly.

"Extremely," he laughs. He looks down at me and pinches my cheeks. "Just kidding." I slap his hand away and just rests it on my shoulder.

"Okay students, welcome. This packet I have in my hand holds your class schedule, your dorm number, locker number and its combination, your roommate, and I have your key," Mr. Long announces once we all enter the main office.

We get our packet and keys. We all part ways and I make my way up to my new room. My roommate is some girl name May Ruby. And she's in the grade above me. That's all I know about her. Not even what she looks like. I guess I'll have to wait to find out later. I unlock my dorm door.
Half of the room is pretty empty. It only has a bed and a closet and a stand next to the bed. The other half is already made and has stuff unpacked. The walls are covered in One Direction and Justin Bieber posters. I already know that this is going to be weird. It's only 9 a.m. so class is still in session. I throw my suitcase on my new bed. I open my case and take out my clothes. There's a closet on my side of the room with a dresser inside. There's 4 drawers. I start to unpack while playing Bring Me The Horizon out loud. I put my underwear and bras in the first drawer. My pants in the second and third drawer. And then my socks in the last. I hang all my shirts up on the hangers already in the closet. I'm surprised there's so many hangers. I have literally over 50 shirts. Only about 15 of it isn't a band tee.

I take out my black bed sheets and pillowcase and put it on my bed and pillows. I also hang up my Slipknot, Black Veil Brides, Hollywood Undead, and Marilyn Manson posters up on my walls. It makes it a little bit more like home away from home. I might as well make it as comfortable as I can since I'm basically living here.

I walk into the bathroom. There's two sinks. The sink closest to the shower already has stuff next to it so I guess the sink next to the door is mine. I put all my medication in the cabinet along with my limited make-up. I only have different lipstick colors, liquid eyeliner, and three different mascaras. I have a few medications. Ones for depression and the other is for anxiety. I don't have it as much as I used to, but I still do so I always keep it around. And I have another one for allergies. They're just red pills for my nose when they get stuffy. I also sit my toothbrush, toothpaste, and mouth wash on the counter. Now I'm set. And it only took an hour and a half.