New Start p.2

I walk into the lunch room with MacKenzie and walk over to the lunch line. I'm not that hungry, but I'll get an apple. MacKenzie gets her food first. Then I walk up to the window. "An apple please." I reach in my pocket to get $0.50 out, but a hand reaches over me and beats me to it. The lunch lady gives me my apple. I turn around to see Jack. "You didn't need to do that. It was only $0.50."

"I know, but I was being nice," he rolls his eyes playfully. "Do you and MacKenzie wanna sit with us today?" I look at her and she shrugs.

"Sure." We follow him to a table with 3 guys and 3 girls in cheerleading uniforms. Two of the guys are Will and Jordan.

"Hey guys, this is Ace and MacKenzie." The cheerleaders look at us and roll their eyes. Um okay. The guys look at us and smile.

"Sup, I'm Luka," the curly haired guy says.

"And you already know us," Will pats the seat next to him. "Sit down clowns." I sit next to him and Jack. MacKenzie sits next to Jordan and one of the brunette cheerleaders. "So how's your first day of High school been so far?"

"Fine so far," MacKenzie and I speak up at the same time.

"Okay," Will snorts a little as if it's a laughter. Maybe it is. "Met any cool people?"

"I haven't," MacKenzie shrugs.

"I met one in Science. I'm meeting him at the park after the football try outs today."

"What's his name?" It's Jack who asks this time.

"Dime."

"What? Why him?" Disgust fills his voice.

"Because he's nice? He's a really chill dude. He's in two of my classes so far."

"You know he got held back a year right? And he's gotten l suspended like 8 million different times last year."

"For what?"

"Mostly fighting, but also talking back to teachers."

"I know he got held back. He told me, but to be honest, he's smarter then people give him credit for. I like his way of viewing things."

"Just watch out okay?"

"I know, I'm not dumb Jack. I can handle myself."

"I never said you were," he grins. "And I bet you can."

The bell rings for next period. Math. Me and MacKenzie make our way into the 10th grade halls. We both have a grade higher class for English and Math. We walk into the room together. It's filled with people Skyler, Oliver, and Andy's age. We take seats in the back of the room. Mrs. Walker I assume, walks in. She's a slender and tall red haired woman. The bell rings.

"Good day to everyone. I hope your first day here is going good. And I can say it's a first to this school for some of you," she glances at me and MacKenzie and smiles. "Anyways this year in math will be filled with communication and active learning. People learn different ways, so we'll learn math in different ways this year.

The bell rings for English after she explains a few things about this year. It's right next door actually. We exit the class and walk straight into English with Mrs. Martins. She's a bigger, short woman with short grey hair, but it looks good on her. The bell rings three minutes later and we takes seats in the back. "Hello students, I'm Mrs.Martins. English this year will be more focused on writing then anything. Though we will go over some poetry and written texts."

Finally the bell rings for last class. Gym.

***

MacKenzie and I make it to the Football field and take a seat on the bleachers. "Hey girly's," Andy comes up to us and gives us a hug.

"Knock'em all loose goose," MacKenzie laughs. She's really a child sometimes.

"Ha thanks," Andy runs onto the field just as the Coach Nelson comes onto the field. He's our gym teacher. He's very nice. All we're doing in his class is just playing different sports each week and running laps. Stuff not too hard.

"Ladies, cheerleading try outs isn't until tomorrow!" Coach yells at us. We look at him confused.

"Oh we're not trying out for cheer. We're just watching our friend try out," I point to Andy.

"Oh shame, you girls seem like the cheerleading type." Well MacKenzie is a cheerleader, but not that stupid school cheer. Real cheer. Which is a sport. I look at MacKenzie.

"I know dang well you'd never be a cheerleader," she laughs. She's right. I'm definitely into that stuff nor flexible in any way.

Try outs go on. They run 4 laps around the field which equals to two miles. The field is very big. Then they get into the exercise part. I don't know how they do this stuff.

Grey clouds roll in by the time there's only 10 minutes of practice left. "I gotta go home. I have to help my mom start packing." Yeah MacKenzie is moving. Not schools or anything, but right beside me. We're gonna be next door neighbor's.

"Okay, I'm gonna stay so I can talk to Andy." She stands up and walks off the field. Practice ends just as it starts to rain hard. I don't mind it though. I love the rain and I never get sick from it.

"Thanks for coming Ace. I'll see you tomorrow," Andy gives me a quick hug before running home. It's only like 5 minutes away.

"Hey Ace, need a ride?" I turn around to see Jack swinging car keys around his finger.

"You can drive?"

"Well I am 16 missy."

"Well it's okay. It's only like a mile of a walk."

"It's no problem at all. I'm just being nice."

"Okay." We walk over to his car. It's nice, but I'm not a car person so I don't know what type of car it is.

"Where am I dropping you off?"

"The park."

"Oh yeah," he mumbles. He starts the car and speeds off towards the park, reaching it in literally one minute.

"Thanks for the ride."

"No problem. Just don't get sick or anything."

"I won't," I step out of the car and walk over to the playground where a hooded figure sits on the swing. "Dime?"

"You actually came," he removes his hoodie without turning around to see me.