Chapter One: The Help

"Why, hello there!" A blond haired woman came into the room and flashed a warm smile at you. Instantly, you felt less nervous and offered a small smile yourself. Her friendly, Swiss accent made the atmosphere less intimidating.

"You must be [Y/N]. Come, follow me!" She beckoned you up from your chair and out the door into a long corridor with pristine white walls. "I'm so glad we'll finally have an extra set of healing hands around here! I have so many patients, I've only been spending ten minutes with each one daily."

You walked beside her, nodding at her when she confessed some of her burdens to you.

"I'm sorry. It sounds like I'm complaining, doesn't it?" She laughed, "I don't mean to! I love what I do, and I'm certain you'll love it here, too."

You nodded again, finding yourself laughing a little with her. This was the effect the lovely Dr. Angela Ziegler had on people. Her smile and laughter were infectious. Wow, I can't believe I'll get to work with the Angela Ziegler. You thought to yourself, looking down at your feet because you didn't want to over-stare at her beaming face.

Bad call on your part.

You collided into something. Hard. In an instant, the impact forced you backwards and you landed on your butt. Your near excellent reflexes saved you from suffering a head concussion. You sat less than gracefully with your hands behind you, propping your upper body up.

"Sorry," You managed to moan out, visibly wincing. The slit on the side of your skirt grew from the incident, exposing a good part of your upper thigh and the top of your nude stocking. You tried to cover the exposed part with your hand and looked up.

"Are you alright?" Dr. Ziegler's voice and another voice--very masculine, attractive voice resounded simultaneously.

The male voice drowned out all other noises. It made your ears grow hot and your face red. You found yourself being helped up by warm, metallic hands. Stupefied, you gaped at the tall, masked individual - covered in metal or synthetic material from head to toe. You observed that the synthetic material were woven throughout his body, resembling sinews.

You were gaping. Are those his actual muscles?

"[Y/N]," Dr. Ziegler called you several times before you were brought out of your stupor. "That was quite a collision. Are you alright?"

"Uhm... Yes," You stammered numbly, feeling half embarrassed and half amazed, especially in the presence of this robo-ninja.

"Okay, good. This is Genji." She introduced. "Genji, this is [Y/N]. Please become acquainted and grow accustomed to being in each other's company."

This robot ninja greeted you very traditionally, hand formed into a gesture before he bowed to you. "Konbanwa."

"Hello," You offered a smile, still slightly flustered. Subconsciously, your hand held the split fabric of your skirt together. "I'm sorry about that." You bowed to him slightly to honor his gesture.

"Well, [Y/N]. Genji is one of our most famous agents here in Overwatch. Because of how often he completes missions, you can expect to see him in the infirmary every other day."

"Oh come now, Dr. Ziegler. You're making me look bad in front of my new colleague." There was light-heartedness in his tone. "I'll see you soon, I'm sure, [Y/N]." He bowed before walking past both you and Dr. Ziegler.

You waited until he was out of earshot before you spoke up, "Dr. Ziegler..."

"You can call me Mercy as my colleagues do, please. There's no need for formalities."

Nodding, you continued, "Umm, Mercy... Genji seems ...different for an omnic."

"Well, he isn't quite an omnic." She beckoned you to continue walking beside her. "Genji's also known to be one of my miracle patients." Mercy said, her voice softer and less cheerful than usual, almost melancholic. "He was near death when we found him."

You listened to Dr. Ziegler's recount of Genji's past, quiet and in awe of the hardships he must've gone through.

After nearly a quarter hour of trekking through the new Overwatch Headquarters, you finally arrived at your destination: the office you would practice in as Mercy's newest and junior colleague.

"The infirmary you'll be stationed at is actually at the front of the medical wing. Typically, patients will be triaged here. We're still in the process of hiring more help so you are going to be a one-woman operation for a few days."

You gulped and looked at her, wide-eyed.

"I've seen your resume, [Y/N]. I think you are capable." She gave you a reassuring look.

The doors to your office were automatic, sliding doors. The dark environment was quickly and brightly lit up by the fluorescent lighting overhead. It was very neat, clean and arranged, you observed. There were multiple waiting chairs in the corner, three distinct rooms with a high-rise exam table in each one, cables, monitors and equipment throughout. In another corner was a transparent glass cubicle, with multiple monitors set up above an unoccupied desk. It was spacious. It was definitely much more than you expected. What you'd need, you'd have.

"[Y/N], what do you think?" Mercy asked you. "Will this be alright?"

You opened your mouth to say something but nothing came out at first. You swallowed, trying to repress your utter amazement, then tried again, "Yes, D- Mercy. This is ...wonderful."

"Come with me." She said, walking towards the cubicle. Near it was a closed door, which led into a smaller room. Within it, you saw a small made bed, a closet, and a washroom. She opened the closet, and stood before it, pondering briefly. "I expect you'll be staying here for several days at a time. These scrubs are somewhat outdated, but I think they will do if you are in need of clothes to change into."

She'd noticed your ruined skirt earlier. You smiled, "Thank you."

"You're very welcome!" She reciprocated your smile and walked past you, out the door of the small bedroom. "I'll let you change. I have someone to see nearby, but I will return shortly." With that, the blond physician vanished out of sight, leaving to grant you some privacy.

Briskly, you approached the open closet and saw there were only 2 colors available: white and sea-foam. You chose the latter, taking a set of top and bottom you thought would fit you best. You didn't mind wearing scrubs, you lived in them throughout your post-secondary education years. They felt, in fact, like pajamas. They even have shoes lying around for me to wear!  You mused while unzipping your skirt. It fell in a pool around your feet. Your eyes skimmed over the differently-colored pairs of sneakers at the bottom of the closet while your fingers deftly unbuttoned your shirt.

"Dr. Ziegler!"

A familiar voice called out, following the whirring sound of the automated doors opening then closing. You heard a series of shuffled footsteps, then a soft thud.

"Hang on, brother! Dr. Ziegler!" The voice came closer, and closer. And you were still in the middle of undressing.

Genji?  You realized you had to say something, or he would see you naked. "She stepped out. I'll be right there!"

Facing away from the door, you hastened to don the scrub top and bottom.

"Please hurry, [Y/N]! My brother's been injured!"