I Care

Josh's POV
I feel like the worst person on the planet, well next to Diggie. I shouldn't have ever took Diggie up on the offer... I didn't mean to hurt Maddie.

"Mom, I'm home!" I shouted.

All the sudden I heard footsteps running down the stairs. "Josh! Hi honey. How was your day?"

"Could've been worse...I guess." I said quietly.

She frowned. "Want to talk about it?"

This is the point in our conversation I usually say no, then go play Xbox in my apartment. But I needed someone to talk to, and she was the first person in sight. "That would be nice."

My moms face lit up. Her and I walked into the living room. She pat on the couch next to her gesturing me over. "What happened?" My mom asked.

I sat down next to her. "Maddie's ex is back, and she wants her back... But I don't want her to leave me."

"Oh honey..." My mom said as I rested her head on my shoulder.

"Mom, I really care for Maddie. I don't want to see her get hurt."

"Does she know that?" My mom asked.

"I always hoped she did." I said.

My mom pulled me in closer. "See here's the thing about girls, they do make assumptions...but they don't believe them until it's made clear by the boy saying something." My mom kissed the top of my head. "Let her know."

"You're right mom." I got up from the couch and grabbed my keys.

A puzzled look formed on my moms face. "Where are you going Josh?"

"To go get my girl and bring her to the dance with me tomorrow night!" I smiled.

"Knock 'em dead!"

"Thanks mom."

~*~*~*~

Once I arrived at Maddie's house, I noticed a bike in the driveway I've never seen before at the Rooney's.

I began to walk up the driveway, on my way I picked a flower from the Rooney's garden. When I got to the front door, I saw the monster himself, Diggie. He decided to one up me and bring a bouquet of flowers.

I'm furious! How dare Diggie steal my moment like that!  I walked up to the door anyways, because somethings need to be done.

"Hey Maddie." I said with a smouldering look on my face.

"Josh?" Maddie's eyes widened.

I winked. You know, just a little playful taunting.

Maddie blushed.

"So, Maddie. You, me, dance, tomorrow night? What do you say?" Diggie asked.

"Or maybe with me.." I offered.

"I was actually going to go alone..." Maddie replied. "I thought it would be easier on all of us."

"But Maddie, now I have to go alone. How is that fair to me when all I want is to re-kindle our flame." Diggie smirked. "You're still hot and so am I. We need to be together to create a bonfire."

Maddie smiled.

How could she smile at the cheesy flirting? "Maddie, can I talk to you for a second?"

"Um, sure."

Maddie and I went into the kitchen.

"Josh, I'm sorry...."

I cut her off. "Go with Diggie."

"What?"

"We had a deal. Remember?" I said. "If Diggie were to ever return, I would back off."

A smile followed by a single tear formed on Maddie's face. "Oh, thank you...."

"Hope you have a great time." I faked a smile.

"Thanks Josh." She gave me a peck on the cheek, then left to go tell Diggie the good news.

I care about her.