Late

Josh's POV
All day today I have been prepping for my second lesson with Maddie. I've prepared all my heart melting lines, my hair, my outfit and even got Maddie a little something special.

This is the day I ask her out, I think she is comfortable with me now... hopefully.

~*~*~*~

Once the clock struck 2:40, I ran up the stairs to start walking to meet up with Maddie.

"Bye Mom." I said quickly putting on my shoes.

"Where are you going?"

"Just to Maddie's house." I replied putting on my sweater.

My mom crossed her arms. "You've been spending a lot of time there lately."

"I know."

"It's not fair to me that you are never home." I looked down at my clock while my mom was talking. 2:55. "Are you listening?"

"Of course I am."

"I want you to stay home tonight." My mom said with a stern look on her face.

I dropped Maddie's gift and my jaw dropped. "No mom, you can't do that! It's too late to cancel!"

"She'll understand, give me your phone." My mom put her hand out.

"What? No! Why?" I asked in a panic.

"Because you gave me lip. Now we both are feeling upset."

I grunted, ran downstairs and slammed the door.

~*~*~*~

After 20 minutes of staring at the wall I decided to state my opinions to my mom via floor boards. "This isn't fair." I yelled so my mom could here.

"Oh but it is." She yelled back.

"How is it fair though, like yeah I haven't been at home much, but I met someone I special. And I'm sorry if it bothers you that I'm happy!"

All of the sudden my door creeped open. "You sound just like your father."

I acted as if I didn't hear what she said.

"I'm sorry." She said walking towards my couch I was sitting on.

I smirked.

"Here." She said handing me my phone. I took it but I gave her a puzzling look. "Go."

It's 3:35, I wasn't going to question I'm already late.

"Want me to drive you?" She offered.

"No thanks, I'll walk." I ran up the stairs then started to run to Maddie's house.

~*~*~*~

"Hey." I said trying to catch my breath as I walked into Maddie's backyard.

"You're late." Maddie said spinning the ball on her finger.

"I know, I'm sorry."

"Better late then never." She smiled as she passed the basketball to me.