Chapter 13

* Emma's POV *

"Neal?" I asked in total shock and they both looked up.

"Emma?" He asked, seeming as completely bewildered as I was. "What are you doing here?"

"You two know each other?" Killian asked, then apperently realizing I was supposed to be in bed. "Wait, why are you out of bed, love? You should be resting."

"I was just," I shook my head, turning my attention to him as he came over to me. "You didn't come back like you said you would so I thought I'd come get a snack and check on you."

"Oh," he smiled a bit, tucking my hair behind my ear. "Well since you already seem to know Mr. Cassidy, why don't you go sit down and I'll get you something?"

"Okay," I agreed and he kissed me softly. "Thank you."

"So you're..." Neal said after Killian went to the kitchen and I sat down on the sofa across from him. "With him?"

"I am," I nodded, instinctively putting my hands on my belly. "And you apperently work for him."

"I do," he said, sounding disappointed as his eyes went to my hands. "When he said his fiance was having complications with her pregnancy, I never imagined it'd be you."

"It's been a long time, Neal," I reminded him. "You had to know I was bound to move on."

"But that doesn't mean I want to see it," he snapped at me. "Especially with my boss."

"Here you are, Swan," Killian said as he came in, handing me a glass of juice and a bowl of fruit and kissing me lightly before sitting next to me with his arm around me. "Now, how is it you two know each other?"

"Oh, uhm," I swallowed my drink. "He's my high school boyfriend that I told you about. I just had no idea he worked for you."

"Oh," he said with a bit of surprise, seeming to tense as he looked at Neal. "You started what, a year and a half ago?"

"About, yes," he nodded, the tension between them nearly tangible in the room. "And how long have you two been together?"

"About three months now," I answered for him, taking his hand and feeling him relax ever so slightly when I threaded my fingers through his. It was silent for a bit and I sighed quietly. "I didn't mean to interrupt, I can go so you guys can talk or whatever."

"No, you stay, I'll go," Neal said and they both stood. "I think I have everything I need anyway."

"Indeed," Killian agreed and shook his hand though the look they were sharing was anything but friendly or business like. "Thank you for your help, I'll see you when you return."

"Okay, what was that about?" I asked after Neal left and Killian sat back down next to me. "The two of you were acting more like competitors than coworkers."

"It was nothing," he shook his head, pulling me over across his lap. "I just... don't like the idea of you with someone else, let alone him. He's good at his job, but he's never struck me as a very good person."

"Oh, Killian, he's the last person in the world you should be jealous of," I assured him, putting my hand on his cheek and making him look at me. "He treated me like shit for three years before I found out he was cheating on me and finally got the courage to dump him. And besides, I'm so yours it's ridiculous."

"I really don't have to worry?" He asked quietly, apparently finding his answer as he studied my eyes and pulling me closer to hug me tightly. "I'm sorry, love, I just-"

"I know," I cut him off gently, running my fingers through the hair at the back of his neck to soothe him as he held me. "And it's okay, I understand. I still want to punch Milah in her stupid face all the time."

"I love you," he said as he chuckled lightly, his eyelashes brushing my shoulder when he closed his eyes and held me tighter. "I really don't know what I'd do without you anymore, I was such an idiot before I met you."

"You still are," I teased him and he let out a short laugh as I pulled away to look at him. "Now you should go to your banquet, I'll be fine."

"Are you sure?" He asked nervously. "I don't want to leave you stranded. I can take you home if you want."

"Would it make you feel better if I went home?" I asked, trying not to sound disappointed. "I can go if you want."

"I just want you taken care of," he said quietly, tucking my stray hair behind my ear. "And if you're insisting on my going to this thing tonight, I want to be sure you're not alone."

"Okay," I sighed, forcing a small smile. "Mary Margaret will love the chance to take care of someone. But come over when you're done, okay? You strung me out on you and now it's so much harder to sleep without you."

"Damn it, I can't leave you," he sighed, putting his hand on my cheek. "Love, I know you didn't want this to take over my life, but you are my life now one way or another. You need someone to take care of you right now no matter how much you hate it, and I love you both more than life itself so you're just going to have to let me."

"Stubborn ass," I smiled, taking him off guard when I put both my hands on his cheeks and sat up to kiss him. I felt him smile against my lips as he kissed me deeply, moving me to straddle his lap but not pushing for more.

*Killian's POV*

Emma ended up taking a nap with her head on my lap, one of her hands resting protectively on her bump. I was trying to get as much done as I could while she slept, absent mindedly running my fingers through her hair as I read through pages of contracts. I couldn't take it after a while, looking up Emma's condition and finding out as much as I could before I finally just pulled the sonogram from my pocket.

I moved my other hand to her bump with hers, running my thumb over it as I studied the newest picture of our child. All I could think was how beautiful my life had become in the last three months. I'd always been fine on my own, but now that I had Emma I never wanted that again. She really had become the center of my world in every way. I knew she wanted to wait longer to move in, but I hated it every time I came home and she wasn't there and I just wanted her with me always. Not to mention the fact that I now wanted to beat one of my employees to a pulp because of the image in my head of him with my girl.

"Sir?" Luke's voice cut into my thoughts and I looked up from my sleeping fiance. "I thought you had an event this evening, is everything alright?"

"Doctor's appointment didn't go as well as we planned," I sighed, showing him the screen of my tablet where I was doing research. "Have you ever heard of this?"

"Lorelai had this with the twins actually," he nodded, sitting in the chair near me. "We didn't find it as fast as we should have so it caused some problems when she delivered. Does Emma have this?"

"They said she's developing it," I confirmed, running my fingers through her hair again to keep my anxiety at bay. "She's on bedrest and they're hoping it'll take care of itself but..."

"I know," he said when I trailed off. "It makes you feel useless, like you can't take care of your family."

"Aye," I confirmed, watching her sleep. "I've honestly been dying for a drink since the doctor rushed out to check in a damn text book, but I promised I wouldn't drink until she could. She doesn't care, but I'd feel guilty."

"I don't think she'll hold it against you," he assured me as he got up and got us both beers. "Trouble with your kids like this takes its toll, believe me."

"She looked itup in a goddamn text book," I shook my head and took a drink. "She may not like me paying for it, but I'm getting Emma the best doctor I can find. I'm not taking any chances."