chapter 15: the tournament

Alex's POV:

it was April and today was the tournament. we were on our way to the dojo. it was me, my mom, Henry, Justin and my bffl Laney. Jake stayed home we was sick. my sensae (sen-s-a) was riding with us too. I was a black belt and ready. when we got to the dojo my mom took Henry Justin and Laney up to their seats as I went to get ready. I was really nervous. I watched all the matches until mine.

"Alex Cortez to mat C please" the announcer said

We went to mat C there was a boy warming up. I stepped on to my place.

"BOW!" the referee yelled, we bowed

Then we faced each other and bowed.

"FIGHT!" he yelled as we both stepped out onto the center of the mat

The boy had a mean look on his face. He swung as I ducked and wrapped my feet around his as he fell. We both quickly stood back up. I swung and hit him in the chest.

"point Cotez!" the ref yelled

I saw Henry and Justin in the corner of my eye, they were cheering. We hot ready again, we were in our fighting stance.

"FIGHT!" the ref yelled

He met me in the middle again. He was jumping around, he swung. I ducked as his hand went over my head. I stood back up and he hit me in my side. It didn't really hurt but it made me loose my breath a little.

"Point Donald" the ref yelled once again "next point wins"

We got in our stances again.

"FIGHT!" he yelled

This time he kinda ran towards me, I ducked and took out his feet again. He landed with a thump but we quickly got up. He swung many times, every time I blocked it. I kicked him on his side.

"Point Cortez, Cortez wins" the ref said holding my hand up

Henry, Justin, and Laney were cheering. They came down to me and hugged me.

Every competition was easy. I won 5 more and was in the finals! My enemy was on that team.

"hello, Alex, long time no see" my enemy Mark said

The stare down caught Henry's attention.

--------------------------------------------------------

Henry's POV:

She was doing amazing! She won every match and was in finals. When she was down with the team also in finals she was having a stare down with the guy the team had picked to fight.

"Justin? Who's that fighting against Alex?" I asked Justin

"uh oh, that's Mark," he said

"what's the deal?"

"they hate each other, when they were little he wouldn't let Alex play basketball with us so she made a deal with him whoever won the one on one basketball game got to play the other had to leave, she won and 'made a fool out of him' he's wanted revenge ever since"

"uh oh" I said as they began the match

"FIGHT!" the ref yelled

They circled each other Alex looking very cautious. Suddenly Mark kicked down on Alex's knee as she fell to the ground. Justin and I stood up and went down to her.

"illegal hit, point Cortez" ref said

I bent down beside her.

"Alex? Alex? Are you ok" I asked

She covered her face on the mat, not talking not making any kind of sound. They came over with a stretcher and put her on it. I looked at her face, she was scared.

"well it's not broken but very fractured, it's time to stop fighting" the dr said as he walked away

Alex sat up, she didn't shed a tear through any of this. She slid off the observation table and started walking towards the door. Justin and I blocked her way.

"where are you going?" I asked

"to fight" she said

Justin looked at me.

"are you sure you are gonna be able to fight with your leg like-" Justin was interrupted by Alex sliding through us and limping towards the mat

We followed her out. Mark looked at us, at first surprised then mad. Alex limps out to the mat ready to fight, me and Justin stand out to the side and watch.

"FIGHT!!" yelled the ref

Alex and Mark circled each other then Alex hit him in the side as he fell to the ground.

"point Cortez" ref called "fight!"

This time Mark skimmed her knee with his foot causing her pain and hit her on her side.

"point Martinez" ref called

This happened another time and next point won.

------------------------------------------------------------

Alex's POV:

I'm in so much pain. Stupud Mark hit my knee three times. Next point won. The ref yelled fight and I immediately kicked him in the chest.

"Cortez wins!" ref said holding my hand up in victory

Mark fell to the ground holding a hand on his chest. Justin and Henry came over to me. Henry twirled me around and kissed me. Everybody was cheering. I saw Mark beating his fists on the ground in anger. He looked at me and I smirked. He went over to his sénsaé (also his dad), and they started talking. I couldn't hear their conversation but his dad was pointing in my direction and yelling.

"you did awesome" Henry said when we were walking out to the parking lot

It was about 8:30pm, Laney, Henry, Justin and I were in the parking lot. I look over at Justin, him and Laney are holding hands! Aww how cute my two best friends together!

"well don't y'all look cute" Henry said with his arm around me, looking at Laney and Justin

My mom finally came out and drove us home. On the way home we all (us kids) fell asleep. My head on Henry's shoulder and Laney's on Justin's.