Chapter 15

"Ding-Dong!" I rang the doorbell to the fancy blue house.

"Oh, hello there Rae!" Exclaimed Mrs. Peterson as she swung open the door.

"Hey! How were the kids? Did they behave themselves?" I asked, like any parent would.

"They were just darling!" She said. "Why don't you come inside? I'll just be a moment. I'll get the kids."

I looked around the expensive lobby, shaking off memories it brought back of the one place part of my heart still wanted to be. The walls were golden and the carpet was a rich maroon color. I gawked at the paintings hanging perfectly on the walls. Those things must've been straight of Van Gogh's easel! Eveything else in the room looked equally as expensive. I couldn't imagine having any of this, especially with two young children roaming the floors!

The Peterson's had two little children. Oliver was 6 and Macy was 3. Of course, Kendra and Ryan came here a lot. They didn't have a whole lot of friends because they weren't in school yet and they didn't need to be in daycare since I was home. They couldn't play with Colton because he didn't do much at all! Finally, Mrs. Peterson emerged with four kids hanging off her dress. I took my two and we said our goodbyes.

Walking down the sidewalk was quite a chore when you had to keep two little toddler's with wandering minds and energetic feet in line. It didn't help that this particular part of town was busy so I had to hold their hands and watch them every second. We were walking past a strip mall when Ryan squeezed his hand out of my grip.

"Ryan!" I shrieked. I balanced Kendra on my shoulder and looked around frantically. "Ryan!" I weaved in and out of people, but there was no sign of him. Oh gosh! Where did he go? People were just walking past, left and right. Maybe somebody took him! I moved over to the side and onto the grass to see if I could get a better look without anyone crashing into me.

Kendra cried out,"I see him, mommy!" I looked to where her finger directed me but it was no use. All I saw was an excited looking teenager with blue hair. Hold on - blue hair? That must be... oh. Michael Clifford. I winced as I looked next to him, where the rest of his band was and there, in his arms, was Ryan.

"Rae!" Luke called out. I hid my face. I would have to go over there eventually. Wasn't that a crime? Taking somebodies kid and luring them over? I sighed and slowly turned around. I thought about calling Greyson, but then again he would get all worked up and probably hurt someone. By now, Calum and Luke were at my side. Calum tried to take Kendra into his own arms but I wouldn't let him.

"Rae, where have you been?" Luke asked, worried.

"No, the question is where have you guys been? I wasn't the one to leave without warning in the middle of the night!" I cried. He winced, looking guilty. "Did you really expect me to come find you after you ditched me?" This time, I was talking more about Ashton.

"Babe-" I heard a familiar voice say as I felt a hand on my shoulder. I refused to look at him.

"No. You don't deserve to call me that anymore. I've moved on, now give me my son!" I pleaded. I was more scared than brave at this moment.

"Wait. Moved on? Like, you have a boyfriend?" He asked, his hand dropping off of my shoulder.

"Well, I could if I really wanted too. I held off waiting for you those first few months. But you never came back." I explained. "Now let me have Ryan."

"No, I don't think I will." This time I looked him right in the eyes. I was shocked. Not letting a mother have her own kid? "I want you back."

"Well then maybe next time you shouldn't leave a girl without explaination, and better yet don't leave right when you get her pregnant!" I cried. Whoops... that did it.

"WHAT?! You refused to tell me I was a father?"

"Well you refused to tell me where you went!" I saw his face go red underneath his silky brown curls.

"Calum, take the kid home. Mike, Luke, go with him." Ashton said, passing Ryan to Calum. "As for you, Rae, take me to my son."

__________________________

Tears were streaming down my face as I reluctantly opened the door with my key.

"Go inside." I instructed. I felt Ashton's body jerk past mine and head down the hallway. Judging by the time, I had to get Ashton out of here in an hour, before Greyson got home in order to avoid a fight. I clutched Kendra as I followed a few steps behind Ashton. Really, it should be me leading him but he was so intimidating that he didn't need my help. He reached the room and paused right in side the door frame. I squeezed past him and set Kendra down on her bed, shushing her. Colton was asleep, so I gently picked him up.

"This is Colton Gabriel Emmett." I said quietly as I placed him in his father's arms. The only reason I did this was because I was afraid Ashton would hurt me. He was just as tall and strong as Greyson, and he seemed very motivated to fight right now. I still couldn't believe that he was in my house.

Ashton looked scared at first, but then he became very calm. Tears formed in his eyes. Before I knew it, he was crying and passing Colton back to me.

"I want to be there for him." Ashton said.

"What?" It was unbelievable.

"I want to be there for you, Kendra, Ryan and Colton." He announced proudly. I rocked Colton back and forth.

"But..." I started.

"I know, I know I left you. I know I seem like a horrible person after today. But seriously, I only took Ryan so that you couldn't get away. I want to be with you, Rae. Trust me!" He pleaded. I looked at the floor. I didn't want him back in my life and that was it. To distract myself, I placed Colton back into his crib. That's when he did it. Ashton kissed me. I was frozen in shock. When he leaned back, I opened my mouth to yell at him, but something stopped me. The front door opened, and I heard footsteps in the hall.

"Rae?" Greyson called. I didn't answer. If I did, I would burst into tears. "Rae? Are you in there-"

Greyson was standing in the doorway. He must've seen Ashton, so close to my frightened face. Maybe he saw the missing child. Either way, he was mad. Ashton sensed trouble, but he didn't seem bothered by it.

"Don't touch the girl. You can leave right now. Get out and stay out, don't talk to either of us again." Greyson said in a low voice.

"I don't think that's going to happen." Ashton smirked, turning around to see the threat. "Now, who do we have here?"

"I'm Grey, and you are leaving."

"Not so fast. Why don't we have a little chat?"

"Fine. We will. Out of this house, Ashton!" Both of them proceeded in leaving the house.

"Wait! Don't fight! Please, please don't!" I cried, but they didn't stop.

"Just stay here, Rae." Greyson said calmly. As much as I hated it, I stayed in the room with Kendra and Colton. I took my children in my arms and we huddled together, me in tears.

"Mommy, where's Grey?" Kendra weeped.

"He'll be back soon, baby. Everything's gonna be alright." I said this, mostly for my own good. As we waited, timed droned on. I even thought of praying, even though I wasn't the religious type. After what seemed like eternity, Greyson showed up in the doorway.

"It's ok, babe." I noticed he had Ryan in his arms. "He's gone, and he's never coming back."