Chapter 6

Isn't life just wonderful when you're waking up to a kid screaming? And then again when the kid next to them starts crying, too? And then you realize that it's 2 AM, and you're exhausted? That's what it was like to be a mother. I rolled over in bed, careful not to wake Ashton. To my surprise, as I looked towards where he should be, he wasn't there. I tiptoed down the hallway and followed the sound of the children in the darkness.

As I found the room, the crying stopped. I peeked around the open door, seeing such a beautiful sight before me. There in the golden moonlight was Ashton, sitting on the bed. Kendra was on his lap and Ryan was sitting next to them. Ashton began to sing a lullaby, one that my own parents used to sing to me when I had horrible nightmares. Tears spilled out of my hereditary blue eyes as the memories came back to me. I leaned on the door frame and closed my eyes, letting the music get to me.

When the singing stopped and Ashton began tucking Kendra and Ryan into bed again, I crept back into bed. I pretended to be asleep when he finally shuffled through the door. The bed dipped as he rolled over, and I could hear his steady breathing. When I dared to open my eyes again, I found Ashton staring at me. He cracked his priceless smile, and I echoed him.

"Goodnight, Rae-Rae, get some sleep." He whispered, kissing my forehead. I obeyed and closed my eyes, very content. Yes, I was in love.

__________________________

I woke to someone shaking me, roughly.

"Rae! Wake up!" Calum screeched in my ear. I groaned, slapping him in the face. "Hey! That was mean!"

"Ugh. What do you want Cal?" I squeezed my eyes shut and gripped the blankets.

"Make me breakfast?" He replied. For God's sake, I'm the one who's been stealing food for the past years.

"Get somebody else to do it." I said, trying to avoid the embarrasing situation of having to tell him what I've been eating over the span of five years. "Ask... I don't know, Michael maybe?"

"He's doing his hair." Calum replied swiftly.

"Well, wait a few minutes!"

"No, he's doing his hair." I chose to ignore his awkward comment and focused on going back to sleep. "Luke and Ashton are at the mall."

I slowly sat up, rubbing my eyes. "We were like, just there!" I grieved. Who could spend two whole days in a row shopping?! Reluctantly, I stumbled out of bed and pulled on a black hoodie. I hopped down the hallway on one foot, because my sick had fallen off of the other one and the floor was freezing!

"So... how's Ashton in bed?" Calum asked curiously. I stared at him wide eyed.

"What?!"

"I said, "How's Ash-"

"Yeah, I heard what you said! Why would you think we... ugh!" I groaned.

"Well, you do know that Ashton likes-" Just then Michael walked out in front of us. Calum immediately shut up, but he didn't close his mouth. Michael's hair was half pink, and half blue.

"Erm... Rae? Can you help me with my hair?" I looked at him strangely. Was he serious?

"Mommy, mommy, mommy! Look what I found!" Ryan said, holding up a fancy electric guitar that was twice his size.

"NononononononononoNO!" Calum shrieked, carefully but quickly stealing the instrument out of his small grip. Luckily, Calum was too worried about his precious instrument and Michael was too concerned about his hair that neither of them picked up on Ryan calling me 'mommy'. I mentally groaned when I saw Kendra holding up a white inflatable dog and a stuffed pigeon that looked shockingly real. Luke appeared now, running across the room towards Kendra.