(Edited) Chapter 32 & 33

Start from the beginning

"Don't worry, I got this." Aiden starts putting pressure on the locker at different locations of its door. It doesn't seem like he's doing this for the first time. He looks like a 'jammed-locker-opening' expert.

After several minutes, he succeeds. The locker door swings open. Hailey claps her hand in delight. "Thank you so much!" she chirps.

He chuckles. "Oh it's alright. C'mon, grab your assignment quick. You need to submit it, don't you? Lunch's almost over, and I think your class is all over the other side of the school, in Hallway B-21."

She nods. "You remember my class schedule?"

"Of course I do, I used to walk you to them, remember?" he replies, all smiles.

Ugh. Next thing you know, they'll be kissing. And I'll be forced to watch. No thanks.

So I quietly excuse myself, saying I need to get going and leave. Aiden calls after me, asking to wait. I pretend I don't hear.

After everything that's been said and done, we're back to square one. Aiden's still with Hailey, and I'm the third wheel, the jealous, unwanted best friend. I don't need this kind of stress in my life.

I'm distracted, lost in thoughts, which is why I end up crashing against someone head on. "Ow!" I rub my head vigorously. I literally walked into someone, a tall someone, causing my head to smack against their hard chest.

I look up, ready to apologize, feeling really embarrassed.

It's Damien.

"Oh, it's you. I'm sorry...I didn't see you."

"Well, that's obvious."

"Sorry again," I mumble. "I better get going. I'm going to be late for class." I start walking away.

"Hey! Don't you have math right now?" He asks.

"Uh...yeah. Why?"

"Just wondering, since you're going the wrong way. Our class is that way" he says, pointing in the other direction.

"Oh."

He chuckles.

I was in such a rush to get away from Hailey and Aiden, I started heading the wrong way. Maybe that's why Aiden was calling me out, to tell me I was going in the opposite direction.

How embarrassing.

"C'mon, let's go together. I have math too." I nod, quietly walking beside him.

"Whoa! I didn't know they were still talking," he exclaims all of a sudden. He's looking at Aiden and Hailey.

I roll my eyes, then suddenly freeze when I realize what Damien just said. I turn to him. "Why wouldn't they be talking? What's so surprising about that?" I queried.

"Well, it's no news that they broke up. I'm surprised they're still on talking terms."

I stop walking, not able to believe what I just heard.

"They...they broke up?" Damien nods.

Is that why Aiden befriended me again?

"Who ended it? Who broke up with whom?"

"I think it was...Hailey. Yeah, I think she was the one who dumped him."

I should have known.

He didn't dump her. She broke up with him. He didn't leave her. He didn't wanted to. She ended it, for some reason. He still likes her, obviously. Feelings don't die so easily.