(Edited) Chapter 32 & 33

Start from the beginning

And he...did he...is he talking to me again because he's single again? Is that it? I've always been his back-up, his second option. It's been like that from the start. So is that why he suddenly decided to talk to me? Because Hailey left him and he was bored?

"How long has it been since they broke up?"

"Almost a month, I think."

A month.

That means they'd already broken up when he came to apologize to me. Is this why he apologized? Did he genuinely want to be a part of my life again, or did he apologize because Hailey left him, and he had no one else to jump to?

But no, that can't be right. He's Aiden for god's sake! He always has some girl lined up. He's not one to wait.

But why didn't he tell me they broke up?

For the next two hours, I'm deep in thought, and quite distracted. I want to confront Aiden, but at the same time I need to gather my thoughts before I do. I wish I could move past all of this. We're friends again, and that's all that matters now. Why am I so weird? Why can't I just let things go instead of holding onto everything so fiercely?

When the last class of the day ends, I ask Sharon to get her car out of the parking lot while I take a trip to the washroom. I really needed to pee. Thankfully, the bathroom stalls are empty when I walk in. Dirty lipstick-stained tissue papers litter the sink. Someone missed the waste basket, so their dirty sanitary napkin is lying on the floor.

I scrunch my nose in disgust. Who says girls are always neat and tidy? This bathroom's filthy.

Without wasting much time, I finish my business and proceed to wash my hands before I leave. I'm shaking my hands to dry off the water when the washroom door is pushed open, and in steps none other than Hailey.

For a few awkward seconds, I stand there frozen, gaping at her.

Time to get out of here, I think.

She pays me no mind and heads over to the sink. I turn around to leave. But something stops me. This is only awkward because I'm making this awkward. Besides, this is the perfect chance to talk to her, to clarify all the doubts that have been plaguing me since morning.

So I stop. And instead of leaving, I turn back around.

"Hailey? I need to ask you something." I say in a matter-of-fact tone. She will have to talk to me. I'm not going to let her ignore me.

She doesn't respond, but I go on anyway. "Why did you break up with Aiden?"

She stares at me pointedly, then turns back to face the bathroom mirror and starts brushing her hair. I'm losing my patience real quick. I start speaking again when she cuts me off.

"I realized we just weren't right for each other; we weren't what the other wanted."

I snort.

"And you couldn't come to that conclusion a few months earlier? Before ruining Aiden and my friendship?" She rolls her eyes and turns away.

"What? You don't have a response to that? It's a genuine question. Couldn't you have realized this earlier instead of forcing Aiden to choose between us and ending our friendship? Which by the way, existed way before you came into his life."

"Hold on, hold on. What the hell are you talking about? I didn't make him choose anything."

"Um, yes you did? Don't lie."

"Uh no, I didn't?"

"Oh, so you're denying that you ever said that he needs to choose between us?"