Chapter Twenty: A Judge Judges

Start from the beginning

That meant no guards.

Father was never the brightest star.

Chara and Asriel would often break into places they weren't allowed to visit, just to play hide n' seek in the creepy dark hallways. Being the only people in a dark unfamiliar building and hearing their footsteps echo where ever they ran, was the best. The two children learned a lot about many places from their explorations, and the lab was their favorite...

"GREETINGS TRAVELER! I AM THE GREAT PAPYRUS!"

Chara jolted in surprise and looked up to see Papyrus sitting atop the gate swinging his feet. His eyes were glowing a bright orange that reminded Chara of their gathering bucket all over again.

"YOU WOULDN'T HAPPEN TO BE A HUMAN NOW, WOULD YOU?"

Chara wasn't sure if answering was a good idea. This was new too. They had never seen Papyrus's eyes glow before, although they'd seen his brother's countless times. It usually meant Sans was angry when his eye went blue.

Was Papyrus mad at them?

"ARE YOU INCAPABLE OF SPEECH LITTLE ONE? HOW SAD!"

Papyrus didn't LOOK like he felt sorry for them, but it was hard to tell from so far away. For some reason they felt like getting closer to the skeleton was a bad idea. Everything in Chara screamed at them to run; run and find somewhere safe. The hair on their arms sprang up, their body felt heavy, and they even had the sudden urge to cry.

The skeleton was still staring down at them.

Whatever was causing this intense fear, was definitely coming from those eyes. They drew the child in and filled their chest with an icy coldness they couldn't shake.

Since when was Papyrus scary?!

"CHILD."

It was getting hard to breath and they suddenly felt dizzy. They couldn't seem to move their body a single inch forwards or backwards.

What the hell is this?!

"ARE YOU IN NEED OF ASSISTANCE? THE GREAT PAPYRUS IS ALWAYS GLAD TO HELP!"

The skeleton was smiling, but it was anything but charming. It reminded Chara of their own smile, wild and psychotic. It was surreal to see such a look on Papyrus's face of all people.

I've seen this somewhere before.

No.

No, it wasn't the smile that was different.

It was just the eyes making it seem that way.

Where have I seen this?

Everything about him looked the same except for the eyes; they couldn't believe one feature could make such a massive difference.

I'm not scared of FREAKING Papyrus.

That's embarrassing...

Summoning up their courage and Determination, they forced themselves to move forward.

One shaky step at a time.

"Hurry up Asriel!"

"I'm coming, just hold on!"

Two children, a human and monster called to one another in loud whispers from two different heights.