Later

Three years later.

I just got done with my senior year graduation ceremony. I go my uncle Jacob's house, that we've been living in for two years. I walk in the door, my uncle was in the kitchen writing his sermon. His head snaps up as soon as I take two steps inside. A big smile was on his face.
"There's the graduate." He got up and hugged me. "I'm so proud of you. My little niece is growing up. You'll be in college after the summer. It's hard to believe it, but it's happening." I can't help but smile back at him. "I made cake. It's in the fridge and Mark said he was coming over to make celebration kabobs."
"What time is he coming?" The door swung open and it was Mr. Martin.
"Now, actually."

Mark had his arms wide with grocery bags.
"There's our graduate! Get over here!" Uncle Jacob pushes me forward and we all hugged. "We are so proud! One day you're Marian in Music Man. Next you're making an A Capella club and was Cinderella in Into the woods. You've done amazingly this year. Straight A's, honors, and top of your class. Plus working part time on your music. I never asked, what are you going to major in for college?"
"Art performance, and education."
"A double major?! That's our girl."

The group hug, is almost suffocating. Then Mark let us go and smiled brightly. "Now let's cook some celebration kabobs! I'm putting stake in it!!" He ran to the backyard and unpacked his grocery bags and started making his special kabobs.

I go to my room and take my cap and gown off. I had my Music Man t-shirt and jeans were underneath. I sit down at my desk and grab my pencil. I've been working on writing music for the church. I've actually sang a few of the ones I wrote. If I get a degree in Arts performance, I can publish these songs and other churches can sing them too.

After Mark made kabobs, we ate and he went home. Uncle Jacob gave me a hug and I went to bed. It was about two in the morning. I said my prayers. Dear God, I ask you to guide me to do good in your eyes. Please keep your hand on my family and friend. Thank you, for everything. Amen. I hummed Oceans in my head. Then I went to sleep.

Morning came and it seemed like a good day to try. I'm going to try to talk today. Uncle Jacob was working on his sermon when I walked into the kitchen.
"Morning."
"Morning. Where are you going?"
"I'm going to try to talk to them."
"Do you want me to come with you? Remember the last time you spoke to them by yourself?"
"I'll be fine. I've already called making an appointment. I'll be back."
"Are you going to visit the-?"
"Yeah. My appointment isn't until ten. I still have two hours."
"Do you want to take the car?"
"No thanks, I'm good." I was about to leave the door.
"You have your phone, right?" I turn around and smile.
"Yes, I have my phone. I'll be fine."
"I know, I know. You are an adult now. See you later."
"Bye."

I close the door behind me and I walk to the medical institution. I've visited my parents here every day. They've gotten better since the government removed them from my Aunt Bailey's custody. The government saw that my parents weren't being treated with the care they needed, and my dad was being abused when Aunt Bailey was drunk three years ago.

I've gotten closer to my parents this way. In a safe environment for all of us. My parents finally remember me, but they still think I'm fifteen and I finished freshmen year. They're short term memory loss makes them only remember everything before the incident. But it's progressing.

The receptionist and I have become friends. She keeps me updated on what's going on with my parents.
"Morning Jean."
"Hey Lucy, how are you?"
"I'm good. Your mom is really clingy today, and your dad is still mute. Just so you know."
"Thanks. Are they in their room or-?"
"They're outside, in the garden."
"Thank you."
"No problem, sweetie."

I walk to the back door to the garden. My parents were sitting on a bench, always smiling at each other and back at a butterfly. My mom sees me.
"Jean."
"Hi mom, hi dad." I hug them both and sit on the bench too. "How are you guys today?"
"Good." My dad nods his head smiling. "How's your summer?"
"Good, good. Uncle Jacob is letting me sing for this Sunday's service."
"Oh honey that's wonderful. We'll be watching the live stream. You know how this place is about letting us leave in our condition." They are fully aware what's wrong with them, but they need to remember on their own.

I hug them and say goodbye.
"I'll see you tomorrow."
"Bye honey." My dad waves. As I leave they smile, and I smile back. It's ten to ten. It's only three blocks away.

I walk inside and go to the receptionist.
"Hi, I'm Jean Jones. I'm here to see my aunt, Bailey." He looks into his papers.
"Oh, right. This way." He gets up and leads me to the window. My aunt is sitting on the other side of the glass. I pick up the phone and she does too.
"Why are you here?"
"I've been coming here as much as I can. I can't visit you?"
"I never wanted you to come the first time."
"I come to see how you are doing."
"I don't want you to come. No one else does. So, why should you? When you know I don't think of you or your father as family."
"Because I see you as family."
"After all that's happened, you still care when I don't."
"What do you have against Christians or God?"
"Your father is a deadbeat. He made my sister into what you are again. Because of him, she betrayed me."
"What did God do to make you hate-?"
"He took away me and my sister's best friend. She was only ten when he took her away. She was our youngest sister. It isn't fair."
"God has reasons for what he does."
"It is not that understandable to me how it works. You may not understand, but it was me and my sister against everything. We didn't care about it. Yet your father made her care about it."
"God cares about you."
"He certainly didn't care for Opal."
"Yes he did. He's taking care of her right now. Mom told me about Opal and how she believed even when you two didn't."
"I still don't. And I never will. It doesn't exist."
"He cares about you. Your sister cares for you. My dad cares for you. I care for you."
"Don't you see! I don't care for you! I thought you got that through your head three years ago! I hate you! I hate your father! And I hate your beliefs!" A guard on the other side grabbed her, because she was banging on the glass. The guard on my side lead me out.
"Thank you."

I leave and walk home. It's raining. I walk through the park. Those words my aunt said echo. I feel tears in my eyes. It hurts to see her like this. My knees give way and I fall, crying. Holding myself, holding my head. "Lord, please. Bring her to faith again. She was once in your arms. Please put her back in them. Amen." I hug myself. "You're a good good father. It's who you are. It's who you are. It's who you are. And I am loved by you. It's who I am. It's who I am. You are perfect in all of your ways. You are perfect in all of your ways. You are perfect in all of your ways to us." Then I don't feel the rain on my back. I turn and I see a face I haven't seen in three years.
"Danny?"
"Hey Jean. It's been a while." His smiling face was there.
"Yeah." I wipe the tears off my face. He takes my hand and we hug.
"I've missed you."
"I've missed you too."
"We have a lot to catch up on." He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and I wrap mine around his. He holds the umbrella over us as we walk to my uncle's house. As we walk we talk about what's been happening. Apparently he's going to the same college as me. We made a promise, and we have kept that promise. God's promise kept our promise. Thank you.

Author's note: Hey guys, thank you so much for reading. I hope you enjoyed it. I enjoyed creating this story. I got the idea of this story by listening to the songs Youth by Daughter and Safe and Sound by Taylor Swift. Those songs inspired me to make this story. If you liked this story I have other stories I'm writing. If not that's fine. I only write because I enjoy writing. I don't care if I get votes or anything. I just like to write. Leave a comment about what you thought if you'd like. Again thank you so much. And that's the end of Promise Me.