Thank You

I run to the hospital.

I have to get over there.

I rush through the doors to the front desk. I was out of breath.
"Miss. Are you alright."
"Where ...are .....Mrs. and Mr. ....Jones?"
"Do you know them?"

Tears start to fill my eyes.
"I'm their daughter. I saw them being dragged here. I had to run to catch up because a police officer didn't want anyone getting hurt in the wreckage of the car accident."

"Oh miss, I'm afraid that your parents are in the middle of being checked on. It's going to be a while till you find out what the damage has done." I wipe my eyes with my sleeve.
"I'm not leaving till I see them."
"I'm sorry, but you're gonna have to wait."

I sit down in the visitors waiting room. I'm the only one in here. I put my head down.

What if the doctors can't help them?

What if they don't wake up?

What if... they...

No that can't happen, it just can't!

"Jean!" I was surprised to see Danny standing in front of me. He was panting.
"Danny?"
"I ran...all..the way...here...to catch up with you... I was calling your name, asking you to slow down."
"Sorry, I thought you just went home?"

"Are you kidding? Why would I leave you without knowing if you're ok? I told you I would drop you off at home."
"I'm not leaving without my parents."
"I know that. That's why I told my dad that I'm not leaving until you are ready. And if I have to stay here all night here, so be it."
"Danny you don't have to."
"I'm staying." He sits down in the seat next to me and crosses his arms. "And there's nothing you can do to make me leave."
"Fine."

We've been sitting here for a while. I look at the clock it's 9:23pm. We haven't eaten anything since lunch.
"Let's go get something to eat."
"Good idea." We head to the hospital's cafeteria. The only thing open was the vending machine. We got some pop tarts and chips, and we sit back down in the waiting room.

I'm can't stop thinking about what will happen. What if they have comas? What if they can't talk, or see, or, hear? What if they can't eat normally? What if they have brain damage? What if they have to go to a medical home? My thoughts were flooding with fear of what could happen.
"Jean." My thoughts were interrupted by a sound of my name. "You should eat." I really don't feel like eating.
"No thanks, I'm not hungry." Danny makes a face at my words.
"Eat." I don't say anything or even move from my seat. I'm really just scared for my parents.

"I said Eat!" He shoves a pop tart into my mouth. "Eat it!" I end up coughing. "Are you ok?"
"You're the one who shoved the pop tart in my mouth!"
"Sorry I panicked."
"How was that panicking?"
"You haven't eaten all day, you don't want to get sick when your parents are already in the emergency room." Darn, he has a point. I give a small smile.
"Thanks, Danny."