Shipoopi

"Shipoopi Shipoopi Shipoopi."
"The girl who's hard to get."
"Shipoopi Shipoopi Shipoopi."
"But you can win her yet." Danny takes my hand and we do the choreographed dance for the song. Back step front step repeat. Switch the feet. Front step front step back step front step repeat. The music speeds up and we repeat the entire sequence.
"Shipoopi Shipoopi Shipoopi."
"The girl who's hard to get."
"Shipoopi Shipoopi Shipoopi."
"But you can win her yet."
"You can win her yet. Shipoopi!" The music stops and Mr. Martin is clapping and cheering.
"Yes! Yes! Yes! Bravo! Bravissimo! That was perfect! Now remember! Tomorrow we start dress rehearsals."

I grab my backpack from the floor and start to walk.
"Jean!" Danny was running to catch up to me. "I'm walking you home."
"What? Wait a minute, you don't have-"
"I want to. Besides I wanted to talk to you."
"Okay then." As we were about to leave the auditorium.
"Jean!" I turn to Mr. Martin calling me. "Tell Jacob, I won't be home until late tonight. I have some papers to grade."
"Alright."
"And Danny. You better treat her well."
"I always try to sir." Danny had his sweet smile on his face.
"That's what I like to hear." We turned to leave again. Mr. Marin put his hand on my shoulder and whispered. "I know it's not my business, but we're family so it's my job to embarrass you. I think Professor Harold Hill likes Madam Librarian Marian."
"What?" He pats my head.
"I'm going to let you connect the dots. But a hint of advice. Ask him already." With that he left and I followed Danny out the door.

Danny was dancing as we walked on the sidewalk. He stopped dancing around and just walked next to me.
"Jean, can I tell you something?"
"Sure."
"Yesterday, my parents said they didn't want me to hang around you. But I don't want to be away from you. You're pretty much my only friend. You're just always there for me and you know I'm always here for you."
"Yeah, I still don't understand why you can even speak to me." He stopped walking and faced me. His hand was scratching the back of his neck. His smile was so bright. He gave a soft laugh.
"Don't you get it? It's because I like you. I thought it was obvious?" My eyes widen in shock.
"Obvious? You know I'm clueless."
"Yeah, that's why I just told you. Is it weird that I like you?" I feel my eyes blink repeatedly. I feel my heart beat skip one.
"I don't think it's weird."
"R-really? This- this is the best day of my life!" He picked me up and spun around and around. Then he put me down. "Do you promise me that you'll go on a date with me?" He said as he laughed.
"If you promise me that you won't embarrass me."
"Come on, when have ever embarrassed you?" We were joking around, but we have always kept our promises toward each other.

As we walk down the sidewalk. I feel Danny's pinky finger wrap around my pinky finger.