Pushed Or Pulled

I've been doing the same thing for 8 weeks. I go to school. Danny tries to get me into theater. I go check on my parents in the hospital. Then go home to do chores that my aunt gives me.

I'm sitting at my aspire table eating breakfast, when Danny slams a piece of paper on the table.
"Music Man!"
"What?"
"The school's musical this year is Music Man. Auditions are coming in a month, and you're auditioning with me."
"What? Danny, I can not act, dance, or sing."
"Singing is only sustained talking. Anyone can sing, anyone can dance, anyone can act."
"Why do I have to audition?"
"Because you're my only friend, and I don't want to do a play with all complete strangers." He's had the same smile on his face the entire time he was talking. "Come on, it'll be fun. We'll start practicing right after school. Please JJ." Crap he's giving me puppy dog eyes. 
"Fine."
"Thank you!" He hugs me and then released. "Now, to prepare. I grabbed you a sign up sheet as well." He hands me the paper, and makes me sign up.

I fill out the sheet and he takes it when I'm done. He looks at it and he's humming. "Alright!" The teacher clears her throat.
"Danny, please be quiet."
"Oh, sorry Mrs. Jackson." He sits back down and he takes out his phone and earbuds. He hands one to me. "It's the soundtrack for Music Man." I put the earbud in my ear and we listen to the songs for the entire ASPIRE class.

When class ends, I have Seventy Six Trombones playing in my head for the rest of the day. In the hallways Danny hums to You Got Trouble.

Danny asked the music teacher if we could practice in there earlier apparently. Danny pulled me all the way to the music room. Then he sits at the piano.
"Alright, time to practice." He plays a scale and we warm up our voices.
"So, what song are they having us audition to?"
"For boys it's You Got Trouble. For girls it's Good Night My Someone." He hands me the song and starts to play it. I follow along with it and sing it. I stop after the first verse. I think that's all they want to hear. "Keep going. It sounds good." He continued playing and in a panic I start singing again.

We practice until 3:45.
"Danny, I have to go."
"Where?"
"I always check on my parents after school."
"Oh, okay. Are they getting any better?"
"I don't really know. The doctor won't tell me anything yet."
"Well that's mean. Say hi to them for me, okay."
"Sure, see you tomorrow."

I get to the hospital and the nurse sees me.
"Hi Jean."
"Hi Lily."
"I'll let your parents know you're here."
"Wait, are they up?"
"Yes, I thought the doctor told you?"
"No, he didn't tell me anything."
"But he called your house last night, and talked to your aunt. She didn't tell you?"
"No."
"Well they woke up at 9:46 last night. I'll take you to them."
"Thank you." She leads the way.

I walk into the room and see my parents are sitting up talking to one another.
"Mom, dad." I walked to the side of their beds and smiled.
"I'm sorry, but who are you?"
"Mom, it's me, Jean."
"Who are you calling mom?"
"You, I'm your daughter." They both looked puzzled.
"We don't have a daughter. Do we?"
"I don't think so." This.. This isn't happening. This isn't happening.
"..It's me... It's me.." Tears fell down my face. I was about to hug them, but a hand stops me, it was the doctor.
"Jean, may I talk to you in the hall?" The doctor pulls me into the hall. "I'm sorry to say this, but both your parents have a partial case of amnesia. They only know who each other are and their separate families. They don't remember anything else. Not even the accident. They don't know who you are." I.. don't believe it. I don't think I just run home.

Once I'm inside I shut the door behind me.
"Jean! What's with all the racket?! Why are you late?!"
"When were you going to tell me that my parents don't remember me?!!"
"I was going to tell you this morning, but you left the house before I could tell you."
"That's no excuse! The nurse told me that the doctor called last night at 9:45! You lied to me about who called! You said it was work!"
"I don't like your attitude young lady."
"You have no room to talk! You have treated me like a maid for 8 weeks! You lied to me! I'm your niece." I couldn't stop the cold tears running down my face. This is the first time I have ever raised my voice.

"Well, I have had enough of this outburst." She grabs my wrist and pulls me down the hallway to my room. She pushes me inside and locks the door. "You may come out, when you learn to behave well." I wrap my arms around my legs and cry. That's all I can do. It's official, my relatives hate me and my parents have no clue who I am.