0.22

I lay awake next to Declan. He's awake too but he hasn't said anything. For once I don't know what he is thinking and it only kind of makes me feel better. Something about him is different now, he's becoming too predictable. There's no thrill with him.
So are you saying you only liked him when there was some kind of danger?

"Declan?" I ask

He's silent for a while then answers, "What if I did give this all up?"

"What do you mean?" We both turn on our sides to face each other.

"I mean turned myself in."

"Are you stupid?" My voice rises, "You think the police aren't going to make you rot in jail? You've said it yourself you are a Mafia king."

"But I didn't want to be," his voice cracks at the end.

I don't even know what to say to him. All of a sudden I feel extremely angry and I am not even sure why.

"Well obviously it's a bit too late then huh?" I sound so bitter but it doesn't really bother me.

"Kifo Nzuri where is this coming from?" I get out of the bed and pace the room and Declan calls my name in a voice that used to scare me, "Kifo Nzuri!"

"No Declan let me explain this to you. You are a criminal it doesn't matter what you do in the future this will always be your life. But go ahead turn yourself in I won't go to jail I'm a victim."

We look at each other for a long time. I finally leave the room and go into one of the guest rooms. Is there something wrong with me? Was my sudden outburst justified. Yes it was. I've been taking and taking what Declan has given me without so much as a second thought. He raped me and I forgave him. Let him turn himself in, everyone must pay for their crimes.

Losing Declan will not affect me. I will not let it. For once I will be strong.