0.20

I sit in my room by myself, waiting for Declan to come in. I just want to go home now. I fought so long to get here thinking that this was where I needed to be but I realize now that this is just a place. Maybe not the place that Declan and I live in may not be home but it's starting to feel more and more comfortable.

There's a knock at the door and I call for the person to come in but it's not Declan, it's Robert.

"Sorry can I come in further?" He asks from the door. I'm decent but I respect that he observes boundaries.

"Robert I hope you're taking good care of my sister," I say.

"Yes of course," he sounds a bit shocked but calms down. "Anike is an amazing woman. I may have bought her but I know I had to earn her love."

I nod. "You and Declan are you rivals?"

He chuckles, "Not exactly we trade here and there but mostly we try to stay out of each other's way."

"I see and now?"

"Well," he looks down then back at me. "When you're in a Mafia it's best that we don't all group up. Business gets messy so it's easy not to want to blame yourself. Of course if my guys and Declan's get in trouble then we'll be a little bit more...understanding."

"Is it OK to ask what you trade?" I've gotten up from the bed and sat with him at the small table in the room.

"I'm more of an indirect," he says. " people like Declan will come to me to sort people out you know."

I remember Anike telling me about how the Mafia was messy. It probably is best for people to just handle what they know how to handle. There's a knock and then Declan walks in he looks between me and Robert.

"I'm glad I got to know my sister in law," he gets up and goes to the door. "Declan." He nods at Declan then walks out.

When he's gone Declan sits in the chair next to me. "Well...what do you think?"

I turn to Declan irritated. "It's different. I don't like it."

"I thought the money might change them but it's worse than i thought," Declan sighs.

"Can we leave tomorrow?" I ask. I feel so stupid now, I was so desperate to come here and now look what's happened. I've just ended up disappointed.

"Yeah," he nods tiredly. "Plus your mom is annoying the fuck out of me."

I laugh, "she does that."

"Hey I know this freaks you out but, would you like your wedding dress material to come from here?"

Talking about our wedding doesn't scare me as much now it's still kind of scary though.

"No I'd just like a traditional white dress," I shrug.

Declan smiles and holds out his hand for mine. I place my hand in his and he twirls my promise ring around my finger. He then kisses the ring.

"Sure thing. I'm sorry."

"Why?"

Declan sighs and takes his hand from mine, there's a glass of water on the table and he takes a sip then looks at me, "I brought you here so that you would see how awful it is and then maybe you'd never want to leave me."

He said the last part so quietly so almost didn't hear him.

"I'm not going anywhere Declan," i say and climb into his lap.

The next day we leave in the afternoon. My parents suddenly had to go somewhere when we were leaving. Anike and Robert saw us off though.

"Take care of my little sister," Anike says as she hugs the both of us.

"Of course," Declan says sincerely. We walk to the car and get in. As we drive away from the house I feel like I'm now able to put my heart at ease.