0.16

I woke up in a cold sweat, screaming. I was having nightmares about being trapped in that torture room. Declan sat up and tried to calm me down but I didn't stop screaming. The bruises on my body were only a constant reminder of what had happened to me.

Declan spoke to me in Russian like he always did when I woke up in the middle of the night like this. I always found it calming to hear him speak in his mother tongue.

"Yeah I'm fine." Although I didn't really know Russian I could tell what Declan was saying.

We lied down and I rested my head on Declan's chest. "Is it something in the room that's triggering you?"

"I don't know." I could feel tears forming in my eyes but I tried not to cry. I've already cried so much around Declan I didn't want to seem like a baby. "Just say stuff in Russian."

"Is it the colour? The lights?" Declan said as he looked around the room in the dark.

"None of that," I sighed. "It's just hard to forget something like that."

"I'm sorry." He brushed my hair away from my face and kissed my forehead. There was a silence in the room. I was too afraid to go to sleep and Declan wouldn't go back to sleep until I did. We did stuff like this, wait the other one out until one of us gives in. I'm not really sure why though.

"Kifo Nz-"

"I love you." The words flew out of my mouth before Declan could even finish his sentence. My heart didn't race like I had told a lie, it raced in anticipation for Declan's response. Would he reject me like I had rejected him? What if he didn't love me anymore? I loved him, I did. I know that now.

"I love you too." Declan's voice was quiet and he sounded a bit suprised. We said nothing else after this. Declan had fallen asleep before me and I listened to his soft breathing like it were a lullaby and was soon fast asleep.