Sun Kissed and Stranded {1}

--{Chapter 1}—

“Lauren, darling, your food is ready! Come eat breakfast!” My aunt’s always peppy voice yells from downstairs. Groaning, I open my eyes, and take a deep breath. I smell the bacon and eggs and hear the toaster popping. I reluctantly get out of bed and check the time. The school bus will arrive in two hours – plenty of time.

I trudge carefully down the stairs and into the kitchen. Aunt Crystal is standing at the stove, cooking up a pan of godliness.

“Good morning sweet pea!” she exclaims as her golden, curly blonde hair bounces. I smile in response. She takes the eggs she was cooking from the frying pan and flips it onto my porcelain plate. “There ya go!” I take a seat on the island stool and dig in.

“Are you anxious?” she asks, watching me devour my food. She gets up and takes two glasses from the light oak wood counter and fills them with orange juice. Taking a sip, I cringe. I absolutely despised pulp in juice.

“No, not exactly,” I say, pushing my glass away. “I’m more afraid that people will remember me only as ‘the girl whose parents died’. I don’t want anyone to take pity on me.”

She gives a half-smile in return, knowing not quite what to say. The rest of breakfast is in silence. I finish my plate and dump it in the sink. “I’m gonna get ready, okay? Wouldn’t want to miss my first day!” I say sarcastically. Again, she smiles half-heartedly. I head back up the spiral staircase and get ready for my day.

After picking through my entire wardrobe, I finally find an outfit I like, or sort of like.  Considering I’m in Florida, it’s relatively warm, so I pick out a white chiffon shirt with golden button ups along with a pair of brown short shorts, and my brown leather backpack that I’ve been carrying around for many years. Crouching down, I take my brown ankle boots off the floor and slip my feet in, tying the laces. Once finished, I stand back up slowly in order not to get dizzy -- and not to fall, since the heels on these shoes are personally too high, I feel like I'm gonna take a tumble anytime!

I grab my brown leather backpack that I’ve been carrying around for many years and sling in onto my back. I run a brush through my dark curly hair and run to the bathroom to finish my face. The smell of grapefruits calms me as I scrub my face, splashing water the way they do in commercials. Realistically though, I proceed to get water all over my shirt. You don’t see that on TV.

I do my makeup, a little bit more than normal, but in a way that looks natural. I take my iPhone and slip it in the pocket of my brown shorts and head out the door, just in time for the bus.

It’s exactly what I expect. I’m ogled at, and I quickly take a seat in the front, not wanting to draw attention to myself. There was whispering of course, and I tried my best to block it all out. But suddenly a jeer bellowed from somewhere in the back.

“Damn Con, look at all the new territory we haven’t explored yet!”

I didn’t see who said it, nor did I care. After a minute or so, I frown at my stupidity. Of course this would happen.

I try not to touch the seat I’m sitting in because it has various pieces of gum stuck to it. I gaze out the small windows and see many faces. I recognize most of them, though thankfully they won’t notice me since I won’t be attending the same school as before. I see my old school; Fiendsburg. I sigh at all of my memories from there. Like that time I saw Dora and hugged her when I was in Kindergarten and she told me I was special! I smile semi-sweetly, reminiscing silently.

This was gonna be a long day.

 -