Sun Kissed And Stranded {Prologue}

-Prologue-

If you’re like any normal American teenager who has ever read a book or watched a movie in your life, you know that Florida is portrayed as the state of paradise, filled with amusement parks, beaches, and fun. It’s the sunshine state, the place to go away on vacation and fall in love. Unfortunately, that’s not the way I remember it. For me, it’s a tragic trip down memory lane.

Trying to forget my past, I gaze out the vast airplane windows. The ocean, charged with energy and crawling with people way below, as well as the boardwalk, a shopping mall, and the school I used to attend. I turn up the volume of my ipod and tap my foot to the beat. Only a few more hours and I’ll have overcome one of the biggest obstacles of my life, returning back to my home.

-

“Darling, you’re home!”

Before I can even knock, the door is pulled open to reveal my aunt, grinning ear to ear. It doesn’t surprise me that she was waiting for me; she gets overexcited about everything. She looks so happy to see me that I can’t help the smile that spreads easily across my face. She pulls me in for a hug and I wrap my arms around her shoulders. I give her a half-smile and pull back, grabbing my bulging luggage bags.

“You look great Crystal! I’m glad you’re feeling better,” I encourage, referring to her hip surgery she had had a month ago. Shifting my weight, I settle my bags in each hand and walk past the front door and into her very modern Victorian mansion.

“Oh heck, nothing can ever take me down.” She chuckles at her own joke.

She reminds me of an old lady, though she is far from one. But the way she always plays cards, jokes about the old times, and laughs at her own jokes really reminds me of my aunt’s mother. Although the two have their similarities, they also have many differences. My aunt is very self-centered, cares about her appearance, and doesn’t look a day over thirty.

“I’ll let you get settled in, Lauren my dear. You remember your way around here, yes?” She smiles genuinely.

“This place seems a bit too familiar.” I admit, trying to make myself feel better.

The house is huge, grand and elegantly decorated. It’s the kind of décor that screams money, but looks casual and moderate. I have so many memories from this house. I walk around slowly, reliving my childhood. Out on the patio, there’s a walkway that leads to a small pond, one that I remember catching a red herring in, thanks to my dad and his sneaky ways. I am suddenly a kid again, and as I walk into the kitchen, I see my mom making me a bowl of Spaghetti-o’s because I had a bad dream. The memories make me shiver and frown. It seems like only yesterday that we were driving to the bank.

“Try to be positive, okay sweet pea?” A voice says behind me. I jump slightly and turn around to see my aunt with a concerned look on her face. “I know that all of this change will be difficult for you at first, but don’t let it get you down.” She tweaks my cheek and gives me a push for the stairs.

“Go get some beauty sleep, you look like a zombie!” She waltzes away, muttering something about waking my uncle to help me move in.

“You don’t have to wake Uncle John, he needs his sleep. I’ll deal with it, okay?” I say at her retreating figure, but she refuses to listen to me. I pick up my belongings once more and prepare to take them up the stairs myself.

“Now where do you think you’re going, missy?”

My bag disappears from my arms and my uncle slides past me and starts walking up the stairs. I sigh heavily. Does anyone ever listen to me? I follow him reluctantly and notice the muscles in his arms bulge through his grey crewneck as he picks up my luggage, which weighed a ton mind you. He had definitely become more fit from his job in construction.

Once everything is settled, I was too tired to argue further, I flop onto my bed. Grogginess and jetlag trickle into my system, and I’m out before I can even change clothes. This should be interesting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------