Toxic (Dystopian AU! Levi x Reader)

"(Y/N)!" I hear a muffled voice call out.

I poke my head out of the shattered window of my house and look down to see Levi, a close friend I knew since I was five. His mouth covered with a half-gas mask, his eyes nearly shot out of his eye sockets when he saw me, "Yo Brat do you want to die? Put on a fucking mask, and come down here!"

I smirk before running down the stairs, my palms covering my mouth to avoid the chemicals that stained the air.

You see...The world is basically now a large garbage can, humans can be so careless, that ponds, lakes, even oceans are nearly filled with plastic bags, glass, and basically everything thats been used up. Also cars, and factories have polluted the air, causing some places to force citizens to wear half-face masks to cover their lungs from the 'toxic' air, and even causing some places to be deemed 'unlivable'.

And being the carefree girl I was, I kinda keep forget to buy more masks, mask are kinda one of the most richest industries, and get even more expensive every year.

"Idiot!" Levi said, slapping me on the back of my head, "Where is your mask? Your palm won't help you."

I rub the back of my head, still wincing in pain, "Do you expect me to buy a mask pack that only has fifteen masks that come with them that will cost me twenty bucks? Which by the way will only last me two hours because they are so damn cheap in quality?!"

Levi rolls his silvery blue eyes, and tossed me a pure white leathered gas-mouth mask, almost identical to his black one, "Here." He said "Now you don't need to buy 'so damn cheap quality' masks."

I roll my eyes, and put the mask around my mouth, "How much did this cost you?"

"Around five hundred-"

"Five hundred?!" I say in shock as I stared at him in utter shock.

"Yea, you owe me." Levi says, leaning against the graffiti'd wall of the tenements.

"Yea- Wait what?!" I scream, pushing Levi, to which he chuckled.

"Just joking, idiot." He said, pushing himself up from the wall, "Come on, lets go."

Nobody really worked in the tenements, mainly because the government was to lazy to enforce taxes, and even the law, allowing people to simply steal whatever they please, and even murder, which was another reason why the human population was slowly, but surely disappearing.

"Tch, look at this dump," Levi commented as we strolled down the street.

Their was garbage bags scattered across the sidewalks, some turned up and revealing their contents, as well bums sat against the severely graffiti'd tenements walls, some passed out while holding beer bottles.

"I try not to look down here," I say looking up to him, even though he was rather short, I was even shorter, "I prefer to look up."

"Why's that? The fucking air is polluted so its basically dark out all the time, and people haven't see the stars in decades," Levi says, looking straight ahead as I continued to look at his face.

"Thats not entirely true," I reply with a smile that Levi couldn't see because of the mask, "Sometimes the dark fog doesn't cover the stars, and they are breathtaking. Unlike the ground that no matter where you look, you'll see trash, graffiti, or depressing people."

"True," Levi agreed, "You know what would be better? If we didn't live in a world full of that stuff, and we could always see the stars, and not just through old photos that only old people have, and where we knew what natural green looked like besides marijuana, and what the world used to be..."