Chapter Forty Four

"Looking in the mirror and brushing your hair? I wasn't even aware you knew how to do that." Aran raised a blonde brow at me from the where he stood leaning against the door frame predictably decked in torn jeans and a white t-shirt.

I rolled my eyes. "I've always known how to brush my hair, Aran. My hair has just never bothered me that way, so I don't do it often."

"Why start now?"

"We're meeting someone today."

He narrowed his eyes, "So you'd brush your hair for a stranger, but not for me?"

I shrugged, a smile tugging at my lips. "Well, I do want to make a good first impression. Plus I already know you."

He was behind me in a flash, moving my hair aside and placing small kisses on my neck. "You're mean." He kissed the spot behind my ear.

His hands came to rest on my hips as I started to giggle. "Quit that, it tickles!" His laugh was deep and full. I swiveled in his arms and tilted my chin up to catch a real kiss but he dodged me.

I tried and he dodged. "Hey, kiss me." I demanded. But he stepped away and dashed from the room hollering, "you're going to have to catch me for it!"

I scowled before dashing after him. We ran around the bedroom in circles before I grabbed his shirt and tugged him to me. His smile was full blown and his eyes shined with humor. He crashed his lips onto mine, and I felt his desire in the force of his mouth on mine. My hands threaded through the soft tangles of his hair, grabbing full fists of it and letting it go.

I pulled away for air, dazed and high off both of our desire. We touched our hair and then shuffled toward the mirror.

"You messed up my hair!" Aran exclaimed, running his hands through it in an attempt to get its nice slicked back form back. I flashed him a smile. My lips were a bit swollen and my hair was also very tangled.

"You messed up my hair too, and my neck is all red!"

His mouth popped open before he began to laugh again, out of pure amusement. I scowled before grabbing the brush and running it through my tangles.

He grabbed my hand. "Let's go, we don't want to be late, right?" There was still amusement in his eyes.

It was early in the day and the sun warmed us as we walked to the pack house to meet the boy who's name I soon learned to be Caleb Pierce.

There was a slight breeze in the air and I picked up the scent of the salty sea, so close yet so far. We were expecting Jacin to be back by night, hopefully, with good news.

When I saw that we were heading towards the underground cellars, I stopped.

"You kept him in the dungeon?" I asked incredulously.

Aran turned, the fading amusement sparking brightly again. "We consider him a threat as long as he is a rogue."

"I guess that makes sense." I said figuratively, nodding my head.

Aran through his arm over my shoulder and led me the rest of the way until we were stopped in front of a cell that held a tall skinny boy with dark hair.

His clothes were torn and his skin was smeared with dirt. He looked nervous but hopeful.

I brushed my fingers against the bars. "Hi, Caleb is it?" I gave him a comforting grin.

He nodded stiffly, not saying a word. Unsmiling. The same nervous look plastered on his face.

"We aren't going to hurt you." I said tentatively.